Home  •   Message Boards  •   Learning Resources  •   Members Only   •   FAQ  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
Barrow, AlaskaCaribou Poker CreekLena River, SiberiaSvalbard, Norway Prince Patrick Island, Canada
Summit, Greenland
Toolik Lake | Models for the Arctic TundraPlant DiversityPollutantsSBI Project: Healy Icebreaker
 22 June 2004 - My Last Journal Entry From the Field View next topic
View previous topic
Patty_Cie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

June 22, 2004 Tuesday

This is my last journal entry from the field. Forty days have come and gone, and I have learned far more than I could ever have imagined. I take with me a new appreciation for the dedication of oceanographers who work long hours in unpredictable situations and do so with resilient determination and spirited humor. I thank them for their patience, willingness to explain their work, define vocabulary, simplify terms and make connections whenever I asked.

Science could not happen on the Healy without the assistance of the Coast Guard members. From Commanding Officer, Captain Oliver, and Executive Officer, CDR Rall who oversee everything, to the engineering department who keep the vessel running, to the support department who keep us fed, to the operations department who find our way and keep us safe and the aviation department who provides transport and ice reconnaissance, THANK YOU.

I would also like to thank TREC for providing gear and web page support while I have been at sea. Furthermore, I thank my school district for allowing me release time to have this experience and to the Yelm Middle School Parent Booster Club for purchasing a digital video camcorder for me to bring on the cruise. I have astounding wildlife footage to bring to my classroom.

I extend an invitation to all higher education institutions to encourage and strengthen their connection with K-12 schools. The bonds forged between these two groups can only serve to strengthen our children's educational future. To that point, I would like to give my final thank you to Ken Dunton, Susan Schonberg and Craig Aumack from The University of Texas Marine Science Institute for writing a Research Experience for Teachers GK-12 grant proposal and to the National Science Foundation for funding the grant allowing me to participate in the SBI spring 2004 cruise. The knowledge and inspiration I take with me will continue to flourish within my classroom for years to come.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic