Home  •   Message Boards  •   Learning Resources  •   Members Only   •   FAQ  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
Barrow, AlaskaCaribou Poker CreekLena River, SiberiaSvalbard, Norway Prince Patrick Island, Canada
Summit, Greenland
Toolik Lake | Models for the Arctic TundraPlant DiversityPollutantsSBI Project: Healy Icebreaker
 Generic Question #24 View next topic
View previous topic
TheMartians

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We appreciate your response to our previous query.
We are wondering some things about biodiversity (see below).
What exactly is biodiversity?
What effect does it have on the Earth?
We await your response.
We hope you enjoy your expedition.
We are keeping our tentacles crossed.

Klaatu Barada Nikto,

SurprisedTHE MARTIANSSurprised
Laurie_Carr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Bio=life
Diversity=variety
Biodiversity refers to the variety of life forms on the planet.
From what I understand, the more variety of species in a community or ecosystem or biome the healthier and more successful that system is.
As you know, all living things are connected. The more species the more connections. If you can imagine these connections building a web, the more connections there are, the stronger the web is, and the more stressors it can withstand. Without diversity a system is weaker and subject to collapse. For example, one plant disease could wipe out a whole region if it contained only one plant type succeptible to that disease.
Off the top of my head this is only a start, but I encourage you to pursue your interests, as I believe this is a vital subject in understanding the overall health of the planet. "Variety is the spice of life"
Thanks for your curiosity!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic