Home  •   Message Boards  •   Learning Resources  •   Members Only   •   FAQ  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
Barrow, AlaskaCaribou Poker CreekLena River, SiberiaSvalbard, Norway Prince Patrick Island, Canada
Summit, Greenland
Toolik Lake | Models for the Arctic TundraPlant DiversityPollutantsSBI Project: Healy Icebreaker
 How cold is it.How is the boat. View next topic
View previous topic
Bailey and Morgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

How cold is it in the morning. How is the boat.
Amy_Clapp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear Bailey and Morgan,
Thanks for the question. I'm going to have you look at the reply I did to Barbie which is called "Cold" because I talk about how cold it is in that post http://archive.arcus.org/TREC/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=451 . However, you also asked about the boat. The boat is big!! It has a deck where we have installed a winch, which is this machine that will lower and raise the D-96 which is the device that is used to collect water at different depths of the river. This trip is the first time that the new winch is being used and so far it has gone well.

We are hiring out the boat to take us to different sites to sample. Usually the boat is used to make sure that people are able to travel safely on the river. So this boat puts in bouys and landmarks on the shores of the river and then travels up and down the river during the months that the river isn't frozen to make sure that other boats can pass through safely. Boats are one of the main ways that anything (food, products) can get to a lot of these villages on the river. Zhigansk has one plane that comes in here weekly, but besides that there is no way to get in and out of the village besides boats. So, I imagine that people here are excited once the boats are able to move on the rivers again because it means there will be more products that will come into their village as well as more people.

I hope you are having fun and learning a lot in school. I'll look forward to seeing you when I get back. Maybe we can find a time that I can come to the third grade and talk to your class before the last day of school. But, if not, we'll get to talk about this trip a lot next year when I am your science teacher!

Amy

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic