Home  •   Message Boards  •   Learning Resources  •   Members Only   •   FAQ  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
Barrow, AlaskaCaribou Poker CreekLena River, SiberiaSvalbard, Norway Prince Patrick Island, Canada
Summit, Greenland
Toolik Lake | Models for the Arctic TundraPlant DiversityPollutantsSBI Project: Healy Icebreaker
 15 May 2004 View next topic
View previous topic
Patty_Cie

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Saturday, May 15th NOME 7:45 PM Alaska time

We are on Healy and have stowed the personal gear. It has been an interesting day. Early this morning I went for a walk. I could see the USCGC Healy anchored offshore. The sky was partly cloudy with patches of blue sky. It was beautiful.

I returned to the lobby of the Nugget, the hotel where I have been staying, to make the 8 am logistics meeting. We waited...and waited....the ship could no longer be seen offshore....

Around noon Andy, the Nome coordinator, told us there was a small watercraft missing and the Healy had been called to duty for the search and rescue mission. Thankfully, the mission was successful. The missing craft was found.

When the Healy was returning to Nome, we loaded bags and people in shifts into Andy's van to go to the helicopter transfer site. All baggage and personnel were transferred to the Healy by helicopter. One helicopter took four passengers and the second helicopter took approx. 600 pounds of baggage and one passenger. There was lots of baggage and many people so it took several trips. The coastguard personnel kept us very safe. They walked us to and from the helicopter and gave assistance into the five point seatbealt. For additional safety, we all wore bright orange Mustang suits and helmets.

Check out some photos!

Andy waits during refueling.

Susan gets outfitted.

Craig is prepared to load up.

To see photographs taken by Steve Roberts of UCAR/JOSS, click here.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic