Home  •   Message Boards  •   Learning Resources  •   Members Only   •   FAQ  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
Barrow, AlaskaCaribou Poker CreekLena River, SiberiaSvalbard, Norway Prince Patrick Island, Canada
Summit, Greenland
Toolik Lake | Models for the Arctic TundraPlant DiversityPollutantsSBI Project: Healy Icebreaker
 Lena River View next topic
View previous topic
Janne Giles 4th grade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Amy - We finally accessed the page today with the 1st and 2nd graders at Cornwall. It was great. My students immmediately wanted to know where the river was. They immediately located it on the globe and then had to discuss the time zones and what time it was here and there! We saw photos and I told them, they too, could one day do something like you are doing. What an inspiration! We'll keep on checking the site. See you back in VT. Janne
Amy_Clapp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey Janne,
Thanks for the nice message. I think I'll be convincing all my future students that they have to be scientists when they get older-- it has been so much fun. I have really enjoyed doing the actual science data collection, but I have also really liked getting to know the scientists on this trip and having the opportunity to spend so much time talking with them. There are so many ways to link just this project into the curriculum that we teach that would make the learning relevant for kids, and teach them about the Earth as a system and human impact. I really think there is great potential in linking research (and specifically polar research) to the classroom by linking teachers and researchers and their projects together. I do know that this experience will be much more than just a three week trip!

I just posted a entry called "The Big Picture" that your students might enjoy looking at. It is a simple (hopefully) step by step guide to how this project links into global warming.

I look forward to seeing you when I return and I'm glad you had the chance to check out the web page!

Amy

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic