Home  •   Message Boards  •   Learning Resources  •   Members Only   •   FAQ  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
Barrow, AlaskaCaribou Poker CreekLena River, SiberiaSvalbard, Norway Prince Patrick Island, Canada
Summit, Greenland
Toolik Lake | Models for the Arctic TundraPlant DiversityPollutantsSBI Project: Healy Icebreaker
 Checking in View next topic
View previous topic
Bonnie Schneider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Amy,

Thanks for all your great e-mails, Q's, pictures and phone calls!! We will send you answers to Q's and some new Q's to you tommorow. I am not having them all write you answers and Q's but as a class we brainstorm all of that and then send it out to you. We are going to do a couple of the experiments on Thur you sent and then collect water thur night and test it Friday-- the kids are being absolutely great! Take care!

Bonnie Schneider
Amy_Clapp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad to hear everything is going well--although I am not surprised to hear the kids are being absolutely great--I wouldn't expect anything else! It was great to get a bunch of email from everyone today--it makes me feel as though I am not quite as far away as I am!

Here is an email that I got from Wendy Warnick, who is the director of this program.
Amy,

Do you think your class or any of the classes from your school might be interested in connecting via teleconference and HorizonLive with some of the teachers/researchers working at Toolik Field Station in Alaska? Some of Max's colleagues are doing research at Toolik and I thought it might be interesting for your classes to get a bit broader view of research in the Arctic. Unless you think it would confuse them...or be too complicated to arrange.

Anyway, if you think this is an interesting idea let us know who at the school we should communicate with to coordinate. You could potentially join in from Zhigansk using the sat phone.

Wendy
Phone: 907/474-1600 Fax: 907/474-1604
warnick@arcus.org

Is this something that you and the classes would be interested in doing. I think it would be great! When you email her to let her know what you think, include me in on the email and then we'll all know what is going on--it would be great to be able to join in too from Zhigansk!!! It is really easy to do the Horizon Live stuff-Sam Blagden (techie for the school) could help you with this as could Patricia.
The way that you are doing the questions by brainstorming and then having the class answer is great idea--I'm sure that all this information is overwhelming--I know that it is for me. It's great you are going to do the experiments, I will be interested in seeing how they turn out!! We will get the water sampling experiment out by Friday!

Thanks Bonnie--I can tell you are doing a fantastic job--aren't I lucky to work with such great people--kids and adults!!!

Amy

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic