Home  •   Message Boards  •   Learning Resources  •   Members Only   •   FAQ  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
Barrow, AlaskaCaribou Poker CreekLena River, SiberiaSvalbard, Norway Prince Patrick Island, Canada
Summit, Greenland
Toolik Lake | Models for the Arctic TundraPlant DiversityPollutantsSBI Project: Healy Icebreaker
 Games View next topic
View previous topic
Jarod Michael Parkins

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear Amy,
I am going to lacrosse camp soon, do the kids there play lacrosse? What other games do they play? Hockey? and baseball? and do you see reindeer fly? and do you see children laughing and playing with legos? and do you see lion fish? Amy, do you see any bulls?
Just wondering,
Jarod
Amy_Clapp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear Jarod,
That is great that you are going to lacrosse camp soon, that sounds like fun. I haven't seen any kids playing lacrosse here, but they do play lots of games like basketball and a game that seems to be a lot like baseball, but I haven't exactly what it is yet. Wrestling is a very popular sport here for boys to play too.
The reindeer here do not fly, but this isn't the exact place that Santa is from either--I think that he has the special flying reindeer though. These reindeer look to me like s smallish horse. Actually, I haven't seen any reindeer, although they do live around Zhigansk. However, they only get near the village in the winter when it is colder. Since it has begun to warm up here, they have started to migrate north for the summer months.

I have seen a lot of children laughing and playing. The children here seem to be very happy kids. However, I haven't seen them playing with legos. Mostly, the children that I see are outside and they are running around or riding a bike. I think it would be a hard place to learn to ride a bike because there are no paved roads. The only place in town that has a hard, paved, surface is the helicopter pad. The other day I saw a ton of kids all riding their bikes around the helicopter launch pad (that isn't very big).
Although there are lots of different fish that live in the Lena river, but there are not any lion fish. One of the most famous fish is a white fish called Oku. It is very tasty. We are going to be going out on the big boat in the next couple of days and I will report what, if any fish, I see.

Finally, no there are not any bulls here.

Thanks for the questions Jarod,
Amy

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic