Home  •   Message Boards  •   Learning Resources  •   Members Only   •   FAQ  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
Barrow, AlaskaCaribou Poker CreekLena River, SiberiaSvalbard, Norway Prince Patrick Island, Canada
Summit, Greenland
Toolik Lake | Models for the Arctic TundraPlant DiversityPollutantsSBI Project: Healy Icebreaker
 to Max and Amy View next topic
View previous topic
Tatyana Gurtovaya

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello everybody,

I really enjoy reading of Amy's diary. I feel like I am with you all in Zhigansk Smile). It's very good way to be sure that you are OK and everything goes well.
Max_Holmes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Tatyana,

I'm glad that you're enjoying following our progress using the TREC web site. It has been fun to post daily updates and photos (Amy has been doing a fantastic job at this - I've only done a bit...), and we're hoping that a lot of people will check in to see how things are going.
We're really lucky to have hit the most exciting time of the year on the river - the period when the ice breaks up and discharge is at is maximum. The river has been slowly but significantly rising since we arrived on Wednesday May 26 (today is Sunday May 30), and very soon the ice will break and huge blocks of ice will crash and tumble downstream. I must admit that I've never seen this - I'm only relaying what has been described to me. So I'm extremely excited to see it all with my own eyes! This morning I saw the first hints of breakup, as on the opposite side of the river there was a huge ridge of ice forming, maybe 20 feet high.

Max

PS: For those of you who don't know, Tatyana Gurtovaya works with Alexander Zhulidov (the lead Russian scientist who is with us here now) at CPPI-S in Rostov-on-Don, Russia. Tatyana and others at CPPI-S have done an amazing job to make this expedition successful. THANKS!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic