Home  •   Message Boards  •   Learning Resources  •   Members Only   •   FAQ  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
Barrow, AlaskaCaribou Poker CreekLena River, SiberiaSvalbard, Norway Prince Patrick Island, Canada
Summit, Greenland
Toolik Lake | Models for the Arctic TundraPlant DiversityPollutantsSBI Project: Healy Icebreaker
 constant daylight View next topic
View previous topic
Rolf Ypma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What is it like living in constant daylight?
has it had any effect on your sleep?
Misty_Nikula-Ohlsen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello Rolf!
Yes, the constant daylight is a bit weird. One thing that happens is that you just don't realize how late it is in the evening, so you tend to stay up a lot later. The sun just moves around the western horizon and is lower on the northern horizon. So you can get an idea that it is late because the sun is in a weird place and moves from west to east. People don't tend to think much about working until 10 or 11 pm, because it is still light out.
The 24 hour daylight has had an effect on my sleeping. I wake up a lot during the night and think that it is close to dawn when it is only 2 or 3 in the morning. It is getting better though. I am sleeping through the night now. I also put an extra blanket up over my window to block out more light, so that helps.
Thanks for the question. Hope you are having a nice summer!
Mrs. N-O
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic