Home  •   Message Boards  •   Learning Resources  •   Members Only   •   FAQ  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
Barrow, AlaskaCaribou Poker CreekLena River, SiberiaSvalbard, Norway Prince Patrick Island, Canada
Summit, Greenland
Toolik Lake | Models for the Arctic TundraPlant DiversityPollutantsSBI Project: Healy Icebreaker
 Why? View next topic
View previous topic
mitsto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Why does the change in CO2 flux matter to us, does it have something to do with the amount of Carbon Dioxide being released into the air?
Misty_Nikula-Ohlsen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, Mitchell. Measuring the CO2 levels and their "flux", which is mostly a fancy science word for flow rate from one place to another, is a big part of studying the carbon cycle and how it is affecting and affected by the tundra, water, snow and ice in the arctic. The levels of CO2 in the atmosphere are an important part of global warming and the carbon cycle. About the coolest thing that I have found to learn about the carbon cycle is a info module from the EPA at the following link:
http://www.epa.gov/globalwarming/kids/carbon_cycle_version2.html
It is interactive and though it may seem like it is for little kids, is very informative. Take a look!
So basically, the CO2 flux is a way of measuring out much CO2 is flowing into and out of the Arctic tundra, which is hopefully a way of determining how much global warming from the greenhouse effect may be happening.
Tune in later for more information when I head to Barrow later this month. I am sure that I will learn a LOT more.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic