Home  •   Message Boards  •   Learning Resources  •   Members Only   •   FAQ  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
Barrow, AlaskaCaribou Poker CreekLena River, SiberiaSvalbard, Norway Prince Patrick Island, Canada
Summit, Greenland
Toolik Lake | Models for the Arctic TundraPlant DiversityPollutantsSBI Project: Healy Icebreaker
 Infrared Gas Analyzers View next topic
View previous topic
mitsto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

How does the IRGA work, does the infrared sence certain amounts CO2 and moisture in the air?
Misty_Nikula-Ohlsen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mitchell
Sorry to take so long to get to your questions. I have had a hard time getting back to them since I have been back home. Smile
The Infrared Gas Analyzer measures the amount of CO2 and H2O in the air by taking advantage of the fact that both of those molecules absorb certain wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation. The IRGA creates a beam of infrared light that goes through the air to a detector. The difference in the absorption of infrared radiation between the source and the detector can be used to calculate the density of CO2 and H2O in the air that the beam passed through.
Here is a picture of the internal structure of the IRGA:
http://archive.arcus.org/TREC/phpbb/album_pic.php?pic_id=1280

Hope that answers your question! Let me know if you have more.
Mrs. N-O
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic