Home  •   Message Boards  •   Learning Resources  •   Members Only   •   FAQ  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
Barrow, AlaskaCaribou Poker CreekLena River, SiberiaSvalbard, Norway Prince Patrick Island, Canada
Summit, Greenland
Toolik Lake | Models for the Arctic TundraPlant DiversityPollutantsSBI Project: Healy Icebreaker
 LEMMINGS!! View next topic
View previous topic
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here is some other questions that I am hoping that you can answer.
1. What exactly is a LEMMING?
2. What do you do with your spare time besides watching the Mariners?
Misty_Nikula-Ohlsen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, Tony, a lemming is a small rodent, which looks very much like a fat brown hamster. Lemmings are the primary food source for owls in the Arctic, particulary snowy owls (the same kind as Hedwig in Harry Potter). So knowing how many lemmings are around give scientists a good idea of how many owls may be around. Since the owls can fly a long way, they will pretty much fly to wherever the lemmings are most numerous to lay eggs and raise their young, because they will need a lot of food to do that. One thing that I learned this summer is that lemmings do not run off cliffs in droves (which was a story that I heard once). They do have little paths that they run through in the grass, like tiny highways, though. Smile

When I am not working out in the field or the lab, I am probably doing one of several things:
1 - eating - meals are of high importance here
2 - writing my journal to post online, renaming pictures I took that day or answering questions that have been posted
3 - relaxing and/or sleeping - some of this involves television, but the busier that I get, the less I even think of turning it on. If SportsCenter or the Mariners aren't on at the moment, then I just turn it off and read or sleep.
Hope you are having a good summer!
Mrs N-O
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic