Home  •   Message Boards  •   Learning Resources  •   Members Only   •   FAQ  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
Barrow, AlaskaCaribou Poker CreekLena River, SiberiaSvalbard, Norway Prince Patrick Island, Canada
Summit, Greenland
Toolik Lake | Models for the Arctic TundraPlant DiversityPollutantsSBI Project: Healy Icebreaker
 Getting Excited View next topic
View previous topic
Amy_Clapp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have to say that since I have participated in the webinars and have had more and more contact with Max, both myself and my classes have been getting really excited about the upcoming trip to Siberia. I am still looking forward to ways to bring the science that we are doing down to a fourth, fifth, and sixth grade level as there are a lot of principals that we will be dealing with in the field that are also appropriate for the 4th, 5th, and 6th grade classroom.

Arrangements are almost finalized. We will be leaving on May 21 and returning June 12--this is great because I will be able to be back in school before the last day and will be able to share my immediate reflections with the school then!

Many of my students now refer to this trip as thier trip too--"When we go to the arctic." This is fantastic.

My students loved Max's answer to the question "What makes a person a scientist?" One student stated who in the class was a scientist because they were ten (you'll want to read the questions and answer entry in my journal to understand this). I explained that Max meant that you could be any age, even nine (as most the fourth graders are) and be a scientist. We talked about how doing things like the science fair projects they are working on make them each scientists because they are asking questions and then doing experiments to find out the answers.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic