> Stuck in ice, what happens
Janet_Warburton
post Jun 17 2005, 06:18 PM
Post #1

Project Manager
Group Icon

Group: ARCUS
Member No.: 13

Those are great photos of the "ice-breaker" getting stuck in ice. So what happens now? Do you wait it out? The ice is constantly moving - so do you just wait for thinner/less ice? how thick is the ice? What was the angle on that picture of the ship being tilted (i.e. how much of tilt did you have?) Does it make you nervous being "stuck" in ice?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve_Marshall
post Jun 18 2005, 04:48 AM
Post #2

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 12

Lots of good questions, Janet!
We're doing a combination of things....even trying to melt the ice by shooting power fire hoses at the ice? I'll go into more detail about our manuevers in future journal entries.

Believe it or not, our main enemy has been the wind. The wind keeps pushing the ice against us, and until it changes direction, which it hasn't in awhile, we probably won't move much.

You bring up a good point about the ice constantly moving. Even though we're "stuck," we're actually moving a little along with the ice. Maybe the ice will take us to our sample location! smile.gif

The ice is very thick where we are...probably about 10 feet or more in some spots. The irony is that everywhere else looks much thinner, so if we could just get up some momentum, we'd probably be moving fine.

The angle the ship has been tilting has averaged from 3 to 5 degrees. That doesn't sound like much, but you can definitely feel it, and it has actually caused some drainage problems, but not severe, in some parts of the ship. I haven't fallen out of bed or anything though! biggrin.gif

Being stuck hasn't made me very nervous. I'm used to going with the flow smile.gif
Besides, we're not so far away that we couldn't be brought back by a helicopter if it comes to that. I don't think it will come to that though. Lot's is being done, as well as melting ice, that I think we will get out of this soon.

Thanks for the questions!

Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Janet Warburton
post Jun 18 2005, 05:31 AM
Post #3

Unregistered

Thanks for answering the questions!

In case anyone is interested, you can read what the Captian is writing in his daily log online. Gives you a different perspective of "being stuck" in the ice.

http://www.odu.edu/sci/oceanography/hotrax...se_log_leg1.htm
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:23 PM