Leslie_Pierce
post Aug 2 2005, 07:33 PM
Post #1

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 7

August 2, 2005
First Sunset in Barrow

It's been a long day already and it's only coming up to noon! I got up at 1:30 am this morning to go out and take a picture of the first sunset. It happened to be a pretty clear night with just a few clouds on the horizon. Of course, the fog or cloud bank on the horizon made it difficult to tell if the sun was really setting behind the earth but I think my pictures are close enough!

The night was not very dark, just dusky for a little while. But, I have to admit I that I didn't stay up to see the sunrise. I'm supposed to head out today to go snow goose banding, so I needed my sleep.

However, the hurry-up-and-wait in the Arctic has hit us in Barrow. The helicopter is being repaired and won't be available until tomorrow. So, our plans have changed a little bit. Fewer people will go out today and less gear. The rest of the gear and people will make it out tomorrow.

I'm scheduled to go out early evening (maybe biggrin.gif) in a fixed wing plane that will land on a mudflat on the island. I also need to pare down my gear and hope that the rest will make it out tomorrow. So, I'll get on that task this afternoon, but first it's time to head over to Pepe's North of the Border Mexican restaurant for Taco Tuesday!

A view of the setting sun behind the gas station.
Attached Image

The sun set at 1:59 am on August 2, 2005.
Attached Image

Here's a close up
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Janet_Warburton
post Aug 2 2005, 07:41 PM
Post #2

Project Manager
Group Icon

Group: ARCUS
Member No.: 13

Hi Leslie.

Although it is quite beautiful in your pictures, I find it very sad to see the sun setting knowing that summer will eventually end....ah well. sad.gif

So, can you share some details about when the sun will set for the winter and when it will rise again? When does that happen for you in Barrow? Also, do folks in Barrow have any celebrations or special events for the "first sunset" or the "first sunrise"? Or, do they just celebrate winter and summer solstice?

Thanks!
Janet
+Quote Post
Leslie_Pierce
post Aug 2 2005, 08:02 PM
Post #3

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 7

Hi Janet,

You're quick! I just barely posted!

OK, well I just looked up the info on this website that will calculate sunrise or sunsets for any location.
http://www.sunrisesunset.com/custom_srss_calendar.asp

I was wrong...sunset was at 2:12 last night, so my pictures are about 10 minutes early! What can I say, I was tired and seeing spots after staring at the sunset for half an hour.

Well, the last sunrise for 2005 in Barrow will be on November 19th and it will set for the last time in that year at 1:37 pm. Some people try to get out and look at the sunset, but it's often cloudy and overcast.

So, we'll be in twilight and increasing darkness until the winter solstice when the reverse happens. The first sunrise in 2006 will be on January 23rd at 1:33pm.

That calls for a celebration! There is usually a Run to the Sun fun run from town heading out Freshwater Lake Road. People don't all run, in fact most walk all bundled up against the minus 20 or 30 or colder temperatures! A few ride bikes, like Jim Vorderstrasse!

Many of the elementary students have sunshine parties and sing songs to welcome back the arrival of the sun, wearing their sunglasses! But, again, it's often cloudy and overcast, so you may have to imagine the sun!

Thanks,
Leslie
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:43 PM