Home  •   Message Boards  •   Learning Resources  •   Members Only   •   FAQ  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
Barrow, AlaskaCaribou Poker CreekLena River, SiberiaSvalbard, Norway Prince Patrick Island, Canada
Summit, Greenland
Toolik Lake | Models for the Arctic TundraPlant DiversityPollutantsSBI Project: Healy Icebreaker
 Food View next topic
View previous topic
Amy Clapp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Stacey,
Just wanted to let you know that I am enjoying following your journey. It is hard to believe that there are places that are that cold right now (even though we are having a rather cold summer ourselves, at least it's not snowing). Make sure to also enjoy the food that you are having--it sure beats reindeer for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Here is a killer question for you. I don't remember what age kids you teach, but I teach 4th, 5th, and 6th grade. What part of your experience do you think would be the most important to highlight if you were teaching this age of students? I am trying to think of ways to bring the different TRECs into the classroom this fall and figure you might have some good suggestions for me.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Amy Clapp
Stacy_Golden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Amy,

What a journey! I am battling your question right now. It is overwhelming when I think about how much I have learned in the last several weeks and how to best bring it to my classroom. I teach 8th grade by the way.

One of my main focuses to learn in the trip was the job of a scientist and that is one thing I am bringing to my class. So, for their projects I will work at incorporating the planning, submitting, approval, supply gathering, making do with the supplies you have, wrapping up, presenting, etc.

I am also going to incorporate the idea of many experts coming together to answer a couple of questions and developing many more along the way (probablly through cooperative learning).

A really neat thing for me was to watch the change in terrain as you go North. I was lucky enough to drive from Fairbanks to Inuvik (NE Canada). Since we were stuck there we got into the field. There were really small trees that were really old ( I have a photo with one that is 15 and about 15 inches tall!). But at least there were trees, tons of mosses and plants and berries. Then on Prince Patrick there were no trees or bushes. THere was a shrub but it grew like a vine on the ground. Very flat small mosses and suddenly all the plants were super small. Even when we journeyed to Banks Island it was very noticeable in the increase of size and abundance in the plants. Plus on Prince Patrick you have Musk Oxen surviving on these tiny plants and lichens--amazing!

These are just a couple quick brainstorms so feel free to ask more questions or specifics. By the way, Janet mentioned that you may be doing some sort of coop learning with your students on your trip...what are you planning?

Stacy

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic