Home  •   Message Boards  •   Learning Resources  •   Members Only   •   FAQ  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
Barrow, AlaskaCaribou Poker CreekLena River, SiberiaSvalbard, Norway Prince Patrick Island, Canada
Summit, Greenland
Toolik Lake | Models for the Arctic TundraPlant DiversityPollutantsSBI Project: Healy Icebreaker
 The Connection View next topic
View previous topic
Patty_Cie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It happened - my students started asking questions about my upcoming trip and began making connections between concepts we have covered in school. In class today a group of students were making a northern lights presentation. During the discussion phase of the presentation we started talking about my trip. I mentioned that I do not expect to see the northern lights because when I will be in the arctic there will be 24 hours of light. This started a series of questions such as: Why won't there be "night?" Is there ever night? and How are you going to sleep?

Now we have talked, modeled, and worked on activities about the tilt of Earth, seasons and a lengthening photoperiod, but it wasn't until today that many of my students made the connection between a lengthen photoperiod (daylight) and latitude. I think that some of them had just memorized the fact from a book, but it was not real for them. After today I know that the concept became real. Additionally, I think that my students were able to make such great clarifying questions because they have a personal connection to the arctic.

I haven't even left and my students are already benefitting. I couldn't be happier.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic