Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Great day up at the glacier
Robert_Oddo
post Aug 14 2005, 04:28 AM
Post #1

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 8

We spent our last day up at the glacier today measuring ablation,mapping stream channels and winterizing the weather stations. It was a beautiful day with temperatures in the low 40's and sunny. We were able to climb up to the top of the glacier and play around in the snow after our work was done which made it a real special day for all of us. What is so neat about working with everyone this summer is that I get to be part of 7 different projects involved around the formation of sediment cores. Each project is very different but all are attempting to help us determine how these lake cores form. So I feel I am in the middle of putting a big puzzle together and as data comes in from each of these projects we are working on, the picture becomes clearer. I feel real fortunate to be part of this process.

Towards the end of the day everyones legs were a bit rubbery from walking on skree and there we some spectacular falls by some of us. I had a classic today while I was crossing the river. I stepped on a rock that gave way and went face first into the river. It woke me up and I got a standing ovation from the others. No harm done, just some very soggy boots, gloves and a wet jacket and rain pants. After a long, long day in the field we returned from the field at about 8:00 pm to a great pizza dinner. Just a geat ending to a great day!!!
IPB Image
Steve and Carlos measuring ablation
IPB Image
the climb to the top of the glacier
IPB Image
Emily slipping and sliding
IPB Image
sliding from the top
IPB Image
Steve moving an erratic
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:31 PM