IPB

( Log In ) Log In is for TREC Teachers & Researchers only

> 2 unrelated questions
Heidi
post Jun 27 2005, 11:53 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

Hi Tom!

1. As I know you know, yesterday's New York Times travel section on Alaska talked about melting ice and tourism in Alaska. It also said (or I inferred) that there is a divide among Alaskans about whether or not this warming is about human induced global warming or whether it is just a natural warming cycle that our planet undergoes over time. So, after spending time in Alaska (although mostly with scientists studying global warming...) what is your take on how Alaskans feel? Do many feel it is a result of humans or are there those who still think it is because of a natural warming trend? Generalizations, I know...

Seriously, the two questions are unrelated:

2. In Jon Krakauer's Into the Wild (you had to know I was going to ask a question like this), most of the Alaskans interviewed felt that Chris was crazy to go out "into the wild" of Alaska and that he was completely unprepared and therefore lacked a total respect for the land and the wild that is Alaska. They had very little sympathy for the fact that he ultimately died in that wilderness. When we read this in English 10, my students debated this issue at great length -- was he totally disrespectful or was he just naive? They decided he was young and naive, unprepared, but not disrespectful. SO, how do Alaskans feel about folks doing things like this? What constitutes a respect for the land? Do many Alaskans fear this wilderness or do they just feel strongly about being very, very prepared? Or, since you probably have not encountered many native Alaskans other than your science buddies, what is your take after going on two hikes, going as far north as possible, and living out there "in the wild"? Have I asked too many questions??????????

Love,
Heidi
ps--you're going to LOVE the bright orange color I painted the living room, kitchen, and front porch biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Heidi   2 unrelated questions   Jun 27 2005, 11:53 PM
Tom_Crumrine   Heidi, Thanks for the question. And I love orang...   Jun 28 2005, 04:43 PM

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:00 PM