Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hello from the USCGC Healy, In the Bering Sea
Samantha_Dassler_Barlow
post May 23 2006, 04:34 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 23

Hi Mr. McMahon! So I see that you have started your journey. I have been able to s-l-o-w-l-y read your journals during our limited Internet access time and I am already excited for you.

Sam's Question: What are the major questions that your researchers are trying to answer during your expedition?

Patty's Question: Are your researchers concerned with how contaminants are affecting the people native to Greenland?

We both would like to see Spongebob's passport.

Patty and I both wish you good luck and lots of warmth for you on your journey!
Take care,
Sam
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kevin_McMahon
post May 23 2006, 06:46 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 25

Answer for Sam: There are three main things we will be exploring at Summit. First, we will be taking measurements of the types and amounts of particles that have landed on the ice sheet. Many of these particles come from the burning of fossil fuels. These particles are emitted from factories, power plants, and cars and can travel very long distances in the air to land here. We are trying to figure out exactly what particles are here and how much of them are here.

Second, we are trying to find out what happens to these particles when they land on the ice. Do they stay the same? Does the light from the sun break them down into different particles?

These first two goals require us to take a lot of measurements and make a lot of observations.

The third thing that we are doing is an experiment for my 6th grade classes. My students are exploring this question: How does pollution affect the ice sheet? The students have come up with hypotheses and have designed an experiment to perform here. I will explain it in more detail in a later journal entry.

Answer for Patty
: According to Mike, it is not a central theme to our current research but there are other researchers who are examining pollutants that could affect the people native to Greenland. We are very isolated up here and would need to be closer to the native population to do that research.

As for SpongeBob's passport, he didn't need one. It is nice being a celebrity. He was able to go through customs without them even asking for it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:48 PM