IPB

( Log In ) Log In is for TREC Teachers & Researchers only

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Darkness
Quya, William, Butch, Jessica
post May 27 2005, 04:57 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

How dark does the Arctic get at night? Since it is on top of the world does the sun shine constantly? Are you worried about being eaten by a shark or polar bear? Hope you have a great trip tongue.gif cool.gif biggrin.gif ohmy.gif T
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve_Marshall
post May 28 2005, 02:45 PM
Post #2

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 12

QUOTE(Quya @ William, Butch, Jessica,May 27 2005, 04:57 PM)
How dark does the Arctic get at night? Since it is on top of the world does the sun shine constantly?  Are you worried about being eaten by a shark or polar bear? Hope you have a great trip  tongue.gif  cool.gif  biggrin.gif  ohmy.gif T

Hey tongue.gif cool.gif biggrin.gif and ohmy.gif !!

The answer to your first two questions depends on the time of year and where you are in the Arctic, but I'll go with the extremes: When it is night, it gets as dark as any other "night" (probably even darker than you're used to since there aren't any artificial lights around). In the winter, it is dark all the time! During the summer, the sun does shine constantly, and luckily, that's when I'm going to be there!

I'm not too worried about being eaten by a shark since I don't plan on swimming or diving in cold arctic waters laugh.gif . In case you were wondering though, there are a few sharks that swim in the arctic, but probably the most interesting and the one that lives there the whole year is the Greenland shark. You can read about it here if you want.

Even though we're on a ship, there is a chance we may take a helicopter ride to land on some ice. If we do, I'll make sure it's not an area owned by a big white bear ohmy.gif

Thanks for the good wishes, and thanks for the questions!!

S. Marshall
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:14 AM