> July 14 - 2005
Betty_Carvellas
post Jul 14 2005, 06:59 PM
Post #1

TEA Teacher

Group: TEA Teacher
Member No.: 20

July 13, 2005

We're still just sampling from the CTD (conductivity, temperature, depth) rosette while waiting to get to the mud and mooring stations. The CTD rosette is a series of 12 bottles designed to trigger and collect water at different depths. It's lowered to the bottom where it collects bottom water, then slowly raised, opening and closing to collect water as it comes back to the surface. So far, Peter Lee and Lee Cooper are the ones collecting water (I've told you about their work in previous journal entries.) We'll soon start collecting water for chlorophyll analysis, and I'll let you know more about that work once we begin. Check out the picture of the CTD below.

Although this is a working ship, there are lots of opportunities for all on board to relax and have a little fun. Yesterday, everyone had a chance to decorate Styrofoam cups with water proof markers. We stuffed each one with paper towels to hold their shape, put them into a mesh laundry bag, and sent them down on the CTD wire to 1000 meters. Think of how your ears feel when you dive down only a few feet in a swimming pool, and you can imagine the pressure on the cups. It was great fun to see how all the individual designs had shrunk along with the cups.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The cups happened because the science team is on board, but this crew clearly doesn't need us to have fun. There's a daily bingo game with great prizes, a golf pool, and a cribbage tournament. As I'm writing this, the poker tournament has started in the lounge. The ship maintains a library of DVD's, each room is equipped with a TV, and DVD players are available to rent. Right behind my room is an area with a ping-pong table and a small, but well equipped gym. Perhaps the best morale booster on board is the incredible food. Three gourmet meals/day with home made snacks available at all times, keep the crew well fed and happy. The cooks, Bert and Jerry, outdid themselves tonight at the aft deck barbeque. How's this for a menu - green salad, garlic bread, smoked salmon tar tine, marinated New York steak, lime and ginger prawn brochette, lamp chops, baked potatoes with all the fixings, fresh corn on the cob, and brandy balls for dessert!

IPB Image

While we were eating, Bon came to tell Jackie that there had been an accident with the van Veen grab, the instrument Jackie uses to collect mud from the bottom. It seems the "accident" occurred when the crew was helping out and working on the grab. Check out the picture to see what happened!

IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 2)
Janet_Warburton
post Jul 14 2005, 07:31 PM
Post #2

Project Manager
Group Icon

Group: ARCUS
Member No.: 13

Very cool experiment with the cups! And very visual!

Is there a way a teacher could simulate that in a classroom?

I love the "accident" - who was the victim? biggrin.gif

Janet
+Quote Post
Betty_Carvellas
post Jul 17 2005, 06:44 PM
Post #3

TEA Teacher

Group: TEA Teacher
Member No.: 20

Unfortunately, no one can think of a way to replicate the shrinking cups in the classroom. Actually, we were all somewhat surprised to see how much they had shrunk at only 1000 meters. I know that, in the past, they've usually waited for at least 3000 meters.

The "accident" was cleverly rigged by the crew who are, at all times, helpful and willing to have fun. We're not sure whose boots ended up there as all ours our steel toed brown ones.

Betty
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:50 PM