post Jul 11 2006, 04:59 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 27

Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley Massachusetts
Room 305 “The Clubhouse” also known as the Quaternary Lab
88° F, clear skies, high humidity

Today starts the true beginning of our group work time! It is really exciting to get going with this great adventure. Five of us have assembled in the lab to organize equipment for our trip this morning. I am working with Mike Retelle (geology professor from Bates College in Maine), Al Werner (geology prof. from Mt. Holyoke College here in Massachusetts), Eric from Uxbridge, MA who goes to UMass, Amherst, and Bennet from Sudbury, MA who goes to Bates College. Tonight 5 of the other 6 undergraduate students arrive. The 6th is already in Norway visiting with family. We are really excited to meet the students!

The “clubhouse” room has the wonderful feel of a good-old geology lab, with lots of maps and photos on the walls, tons of rocks and tools and lab equipment wherever you look, big windows and big cases of glassware. It just makes you want to figure something out!

We got to work on the satellite phones this morning, to make sure they work. I will post a picture showing Eric using one once I have more time. It has an antenna that points toward the sky to find a passing satellite. There are many passing over the United States, but up by the North Pole, there is only one at a time passing overhead, and when it moves away, the phone call will stop!

There is also a bit of a pause on the phone while you talk to someone. Why would that be? Think about sound and how it travels… compared to the speed of light, is it fast or slow? If you don’t know, go outside with a friend and walk as far away from each other as you can while still being able to see each other. Then clap your hands or bang something loudly. What do you observe? This relates to our question of the day: what is the speed of sound? You can find it in miles per hour. Send me an email about what you find.

It is all very busy now with preparations. The next time I post will most likely be from Svalbard. Wish us luck and stay in touch!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:10 PM