Reply to this topicStart new topic
> April 24, 2006 - Reflection on our Greenland Adventure, Initial Reflection
Kevin_McMahon
post Apr 25 2006, 08:12 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 25

Hi. My name is Kevin McMahon. I am a 6th grade earth science teacher at Renfroe Middle School in Decatur, Georgia.

I am about to go on an incredible adventure. I will be traveling to Summit, Greenland on May 20, 2006 with Mike Bergin and Gayle Hagler from Georgia Tech to search for links between climate change and the changes in the makeup of our air.

Where is Summit?

IPB Image

The camp at Summit is located on top of ice that is about 3200 meters (2 miles) deep. Summer temperatures are typically between -10 ° C (14° F) during the day and -20 °C (-4 °F) during the night. Brrrr! After a hard day’s work, we will go to our tents to sleep. I hope my sleeping bag will keep me warm! Click on Current Weather Conditions at Summit to see a current webcam photograph and the current weather conditions at Summit.

Today, I am in Fairbanks, Alaska learning how to communicate to you from such a remote place. As I sit outside my hotel window, I see a beautiful reflection of trees and clouds in the Chena River.

IPB Image

These upside down trees make me think about how my world is about to be turned upside down. I have a million questions. How will a plane land on the ice? What will -20 ° C feel like? How will I be able to sleep in a tent with two miles of ice underneath me? Will my body be able to adjust to being at such a high altitude? How do scientists examine air that has been trapped in the ice for thousands of years? How did Greenland get its name since it doesn’t look very green to me?

I hope you will join Mike, Gayle, and me on our adventure by visiting my teacher journal regularly and asking us questions.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:48 PM