> Welcome on the USCGC Healy, 8-02-05
Ute_Kaden
post Aug 4 2005, 07:07 AM
Post #1

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 10

Welcome on the Healy 8-02-05
“Welcome aboard the US Coast Guard Cutter HEALY, the most technologically advanced polar icebreaker in the US fleet.”
Dan Oliver
(Captain, US Coast Guard and Commanding Officer, USCGC HEALY (WAGB-20))

After a 3 hour flight with a fuel stop in King Salmon and a steep, curved approach for the short runway of Dutch Harbor, AK we landed safely.
IPB Image
After the landing in Dutch Harbor, Ak
IPB Image
The USCGC Healy was clearly visible from the airplane.

I had no clue how to carry all that language. Well, things fall into place. It turned out helpful “Coasties” (US Coast Guard ) assisted me.
First impression - the ship is big and is built out of iron. In other words, I constantly climb steep ladders (stairs) trying not to hit anything.
IPB Image
Ladders (stairs) - 2 down to the mess area (food)

The first land rats have already bruises from an encounter with the “Iron Ship”. Speaking of land rats I had no glue how heavy the doors are.
IPB Image
Doors are heavy!
IPB Image
First you have to open it and later to close it.
Many of the watertight doors on the ship are large, heavy and potentially dangerous. “Always shut and latch behind you.”-Weightlifting at its best.
IPB Image
Stateroom
IPB Image
My bed
My home for the next to weeks is called “Stateroom” shared with 2 other women.
Traffic Patters
IPB Image
Trafic Patterns
“In order to avoid clusters and traffic jams in some of the tighter passageways and ladder wells, we maintain a traffic pattern onboard:
Move forward and up ladders on the starboard side and more aft and down ladders on the port side.” I need to move to the mess deck to eat something. Help, how can I get there and how many doors do I have to open and close?
We are getting ready for the cruise "Over the Top".
IPB Image
The USCGC Healy is loading science equipment

Best regards,
Ute Kaden

P.S. The credit for the fast, wireless Internet connection goes to the Oil spill clean up people from the State of Alaska stationed at the only hotel in Dutch Harbor, AK. The Oil spill happened on December 8, 2005, just 50 miles from the island.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Aug 11 2005, 03:10 AM
Post #2

Unregistered

QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 11 2005, 03:05 AM)

Ute, you need to change that oil spill date!!! December 2005??? I thought I still had to get through that month... smile.gif Ciao, Gabi
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:35 AM