What kinds of animals do you think you will see? ohmy.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Amy Clapp
post Jun 5 2005, 06:25 PM
Post #2

Unregistered

Hi Taylor,
Since I am still researching to find out the answer to your question, I want to show you what I found out. Here are some of the animals that live in Arctic Alaska:

Arctic Animals of Alaska

The Arctic is covered with ice and snow for most of the year. Animals that live in Alaska's Arctic region must be able to survive long winters and very cold temperatures. These animals have bodies that are designed to live in this world of ice and snow. Surprisingly, many animals live in this cold, harsh climate. Let's learn about these animals of the Far North.

The caribou, or reindeer, has two layers of fur. Except for a small area around its eyes and lips, its entire body is covered with fur. Both male and female caribou have antlers. A caribou can weigh up to 700 pounds and stands 4 to 5 feet tall. Caribou travel in large groups called a herd. The herds live in one place in the summer and move, or migrate, to another place in the winter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The musk ox has a large body, short legs,and great big curved horns.The fur is sometimes 3 feet long. The musk ox has a thick layer of fat and a very long, shaggy coat which is waterproof. This coat protects it from cold, snow, and rain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The polar bear has a thick white fur coat. A layer of blubber helps protect it from the cold. It is an excellent swimmer. The polar bear's white fur makes it almost invisible against the snow. As a bear sneaks up on a meal, it sometimes covers its black nose with its paw to hide itself.

A ptarmigan is a bird. In summer, its feathers are brown. They change to white as winter approaches. This white color helps the ptarmigan to blend into the snowy background and protects it from being spotted by its enemies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Arctic fox also changes color with the seasons. In the winter it is white and blends in with the snow. In the summer it is brown and blends in with the grasses. This is called camouflage. Changing color helps the Arctic fox to hide and also makes it easier for it to sneak up on prey.

I hope that I am able to see some of these animals. I will let you know what animals I see each day. I know that I will get to see some cool fish while I am there too because it is going to be fishing season! That should be fun.

Thanks for the question Taylor,
Amy Clapp
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:27 PM