What kind of poeple will you see? cool.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Amy Clapp
post Jun 5 2005, 06:17 PM
Post #2

Unregistered

Dear Abbye,
That is a great question and one that I am trying to learn more about. In order to learn more about the people we will see and meet while we are in Alaska and Canada, I have been reading some magazines and books. This is what I have found out so far....

While we are in Canada, we will be spending most of our time in a village called Tsiigehtchic. In this village the aboriginal people (those are the people who have always lived there) are called the Gwich'in. There are about 7000 Gwich'in people scatered across northeast Alaska and Northwest Canada. They are the most northernly of all Indian Nations. Gwich'in means "people of the caribou" and caribou have always been a big part of their lives and continue to be a big part of their lives today.

In Alaska. when we are on the Yukon River we will be living in a village called Pilot Station. There are about 500 people in that village. The Native people of that area of Alaska are called the Yup'ik people. I am still trying to learn more about them, and as I do, I will post information to the website.

During the summer, while I am in Alaska and Canada, I will be posting more information about the people that we will be meeting, and hopefully, we will be able to get some students in these villages on the website as well, so maybe you too will be able to meet some of the people we will be meeting this summer.

Thanks fof the question Abbye,
Amy Clapp
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:01 AM