IPB

( Log In ) Log In is for TREC Teachers & Researchers only

> eider adaptations
Mrs. Purser
post May 21 2006, 04:43 AM
Post #1

Unregistered

Hi Sam!
Thanks for researching those questions! Hope I didn't cause you to pester the scientists too much! That info about the photosynthetic radition was fascinating! I sometimes forget that processes like photosynthesis are more complex than we actually teach! Thanks for researching the selenium question too. Interesting that the bioaccumulation has a greater effect on freshwater birds than on saltwater birds. We just finished talking about how biomagnification of DDT in the water affected the shells of birds such as pelicans, osprey, etc. and caused those populations to decline, so this will be interesting to talk about in class. I'll share my research on selenium with you at a later date... over coffee sometime tongue.gif

So now, I have another question. I've read about some of the adatpations that plants and birds on our NC coast and in the estuaries have which allow them to cope with high salt levels in the water. Does anyone know how the spectacled eiders handle this? Also, what adaptations do they have for those cold water temps? We've been talking about the various biomes and how the plants and animals that live in each are specially adapted for the particular climate/conditions in which they live, so this info would be interesting to my kids!

Thanks... missing you at PCJ!
Sue

P.S. I did have 3 kids choose the essay dealing with your journal entry on chlorophyll in the sediments on their test Thursday
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Mrs. Purser   eider adaptations   May 21 2006, 04:43 AM
Samantha_Dassler_Barlow   Adaptations...hmmm. I could go on for a while abo...   May 28 2006, 06:23 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:19 PM