IPB

( Log In ) Log In is for TREC Teachers & Researchers only

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your Itinerary, Where are you going to be when?
Ed Dassler
post May 11 2006, 07:30 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

Do you have an Itinerary?
Will you reach the arctic circle?
Will you reach the International Dateline?
Will you reach the 180 Degree Meridian?

huh.gif

Dad
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Samantha_Dassler_Barlow
post May 15 2006, 07:16 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 23

Hi Dad! Great questions!  We do have an itinerary; it is called a cruise plan and it was made by our Chief Scientist, Jackie Grebmeier. There is a set of planned stations and transects that we are following. (I’ll have to ask around to see if it is posted on the net somewhere. It might not be available for security reasons.) If you follow the maps in my journals, the little yellow dots are our sampling stations. As far as I know, it is not in the cruise plan for us to cross the arctic circle. The arctic circle lies at about 66.6°N Maybe we can convince the captain… It may be in the plan for us to go North of St. Lawrence Island as an alternate route. We are waiting for one scientist, Jim Lovvorn that is doing aerial surveys by plane and helicopter to tell us if the eiders are located up there or not. If they are, then we will go north to the Chirikov Basin. If we do, then that will be my best shot for crossing the Arctic Circle. Technically, we will only come right next to the International Dateline. If we crossed it, then we would be in Russian waters and according to the Coasties, the Russian government doesn’t really approve of that. So, technically, we will not cross the line, but some of our sampling sites are right next to the line. You will see in the longitude coordinates that I post in my journals that we are often right around 179°W. The International Dateline follows the 180° meridian for the most part, but it is moved for political boundaries. For example, the 180° meridian runs through part of Siberia, but we have moved the Dateline to the east to accommodate the U.S. boundary so that all of Siberia is west of the Dateline and St. Lawrence Island is on our side of the Dateline. The Dateline is also moved to the west of the 180° meridian to accommodate all of the Aleutian Islands that branch west from Alaska so that they too will be inside the U.S. boundary. People sometimes tell the joke that you can be next to the Dateline, look west, and you will see into the future; on the other side of the line, the date changes, so it is tomorrow.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:36 PM