Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Christmas Preparations at the South Pole?, December 13, 2005
Dena_Rosenberger
post Dec 13 2005, 09:09 AM
Post #1

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 22

Christmas Preparations at the South Pole?
13 December, 2005

For those interested in things Antarctic, check out the weekly Antarctic newspaper at http://AntarcticSun.usap.gov

Hello from the Ice!
For additional Antarctic pics, check out the Gallery.

Where’s Rosenberger?
McMurdo Station, Ross Island, Antarctica

On every Sunday, they try to put together a variety of activities for people to do. All of the support people work six days a week for nine hours a day, so Sunday is the only day off. Most of the scientists work seven days a week. This week, two fun events were going. We had a Treasure Hunt where teams of people had to solve puzzles or answer questions to get clues as to where the items could be found or checked off. To answer the questions, you had to have general knowledge as well as knowledge of the Research Station and polar history. The other event was a cyclocross, where participants rode very used bikes on a course around town. Prizes were given for time and also for best costume.

IPB Image

So, as you are all putting up lights and starting to sing Christmas carols, I bet you are wondering if Santa can even make it down to the South Pole to visit Rosenberger and all of the scientists and people who are in the middle of the Antarctic summer. Let me show you what they are doing here in McMurdo to get ready for Christmas.

The Post Office has put up Christmas decorations. This is a separate building where you come to pick up packages. They post a list in the cafeteria of people who have packages waiting. You just have to keep checking the list because otherwise you won’t know. Sometimes other people tell you that your name is on the list. They don’t post anything if you have a letter or card, you just have to go and ask if you have anything.
This is the very helpful Kathy in the decorated Post Office:
IPB Image

Around town, they have put up street decorations (Unfortunately, lights are banned due to energy usage and the possibility of a fire):
IPB Image

IPB Image

We have tried to get in the Christmas spirit here in the lab as well. The main entrance to Crary Labs has a fake Christmas Tree! (Caution!)
IPB Image

We have also decorated the office door and the lab door. Everyone colored an ornament:
IPB Image

Fa La La La LAAA, La La, La, Lab

Here is an example of how things change all of the time here in Antarctica. The weather affects everything! Our lead Principal Investigator, Dr. Yo Chin, was supposed to have arrived at McMurdo on Monday by the one remaining C-130 cargo plane with skis. Christine Foreman, the PI that we have been with, was supposed to leave this Friday. Well, we have been having a ground fog that prevents the ONE plane from flying, so everyone gets pushed back in order, unless someone is a “Distinguished Visitor.” They get to go to the front of the line when the plane does start flying again. Well, Dr. Chin is now supposed to arrive Friday and Christine will leave Sunday. That is, if there are no more setbacks from the weather boogeyman.

This morning I had a live webcast to El Capitan High School with some of my wonderful students, and my whole science team joined me to say hi to ECHS! Speaking of ECHS, last week I gave a presentation about my trip to the North Pole in 2001 to the people here at the South Pole (Hmmm...). After my slideshow, a young lady approached me and told me she graduated from El Cap in 2002. Her name is Nicole Huck and she is working down here now! Can you believe that? It is a harsh continent but a small world. Nicole was not in my class, but I had her brother Dan in Chemistry. Hello to the Huck family!

Did you know?
“Great God! This is an awful place.” -Captain Robert Falcon Scott, from his journal. He and his team perished on the return journey after reaching the South Pole in 1912.

Current Conditions at McMurdo Station
Low clouds above with ground fog forming on the sea ice

Right now:
Winds from the northeast at 12 knots
Pressure: 29.470 inHg
Temperature: 27 oF/-3 oC with wind chill: 5 F/ -15 C
Sunset: February 20 at 1:38 am
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lindsay Ferguson
post Dec 14 2005, 02:34 AM
Post #2

Unregistered

it sounds to me like you're at a super fun winter camp or something. is it as much work as it is play? i love the way you are getting into the Christmas spirit! Happy Holidays! IPB Image
+Quote Post
Josh Ragland
post Dec 14 2005, 04:31 AM
Post #3

Unregistered

Rosen - Hope all is going well for you in the cold =)

I have good news for you - Kristi had her baby on Wednesday December 7 at 11:18 PM. Her name is Drew. Kristi and Kyle are doing well and send you there thoughts.

Josh
+Quote Post
Megan Schilling!
post Dec 15 2005, 04:54 AM
Post #4

Unregistered

o geeze!! MS. Rosenberger!!! dang sundays sound like a blast out there! haha i love the decorations.. and the christmas tree! i miss you soo much! chem just isnt the same without you.. really its not... well i hope you are having fun out there!!!
stay warm!
-luv: Megan Schilling!
+Quote Post
Dena_Rosenberger
post Dec 15 2005, 08:43 PM
Post #5

TREC Teacher

Hi Lindsay:

Thank you for the Penguin card! Totally cute! I am having a ton of fun and also working from 8 am to midnight almost every day. I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Enjoy your holiday break from school. I'll see you next semester.
Love,
Ms. R

QUOTE(Lindsay Ferguson @ Dec 14 2005, 02:34 AM)
it sounds to me like you're at a super fun winter camp or something. is it as much work as it is play? i love the way you are getting into the Christmas spirit! Happy Holidays! IPB Image

+Quote Post
Dena_Rosenberger
post Dec 15 2005, 08:47 PM
Post #6

TREC Teacher

Hi Josh!
Thanks for the great news! Almost a Christmas baby, huh? I am glad everything went well and everybody is happy and healthy.
Enjoy your Holidays!
Ms. R

QUOTE(Josh Ragland @ Dec 14 2005, 04:31 AM)
Rosen - Hope all is going well for you in the cold =)

I have good news for you - Kristi had her baby on Wednesday December 7 at 11:18 PM. Her name is Drew. Kristi and Kyle are doing well and send you there thoughts.
Josh

+Quote Post
Dena_Rosenberger
post Dec 15 2005, 08:56 PM
Post #7

TREC Teacher

hi Megan! Sundays are great because it is usually more of a laid back day, although the scientists still go to work. All of the support personnel have that one day off, so there is always something fun on Sundays. During the week, there are always things to do after dinner, too, like movies, bowling leagues, lectures, presentations, classes. Usually the scientists go back to work after dinner unless there is a lecture they want to see. I also play on a volleyball league on Tuesday nights.

Hang in there with Chem. I'll get to see everybody soon...first day of second semester. I might act kinda weird, but I'll be there (It's not like I don't ever act weird).
Enjoy your holidays! I will certainly miss being with friends and family (and students), but I am having the trip of a lifetime.

Love,
Ms. R

QUOTE(Megan Schilling! @ Dec 15 2005, 04:54 AM)
o geeze!! MS. Rosenberger!!!  dang sundays sound like a blast out there! haha i love the decorations.. and the christmas tree! i miss you soo much! chem just isnt the same without you.. really its not... well i hope you are having fun out there!!!
stay warm!
-luv: Megan Schilling!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:55 AM