Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 8-20-05: Intro Ruben Fritzton
Ute_Kaden
post Aug 22 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #1

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 10

Swedish teacher Ruben introduces himself.
TREC 8-20-05

Onboard of the Healy is a big group of Swedish and Norwegian researchers. Ruben is the education outreach teacher for the Sweden. He likes to introduce himself to you. Feel free to ask him questions if you would like to know more about Sweden and the schools and students there.
Ute Kaden

IPB Image
Ruben Fritzton

My name is Ruben Fritzon and I’m from Sweden. I live on an island in the Baltic Sea called Alnö. The island is situated 15 minutes by car from the city Sundsvall, 350 km north of Stockholm, the capital.
In 2003 I graduated as a teacher from Umeå University and this will be my third year working as a teacher. I teach students from 7th to 9th grade (12-16 years) in math and science. Vibackeskolan, were I work, has about 370 students and 45 teachers which is about the average size of a school in Sweden.

Being out in the nature has always been a big part of my life. When I’m not working I spend a big part of my time being outdoor hunting, fishing or just hiking. When I got an e-mail from a biology teacher’s network informing that there was an opportunity for a teacher to join an expedition to the North Pole, I got pretty excited. After a couple of days of thinking and discussions with my family I decided to make an application. The principle at my school gave me great support with the application and promised to let me off from work if needed. A couple of weeks later I got a phone call from Swedish Polar Research Secretariat and I was told that they had chosen me for the scholarship.

The Arctic is a very remote place and not many people get the chance to explore it, especially not the area around the North Pole. But this trip is not just a great opportunity to see the Arctic, it is also a unique way to get close to the scientists and their science as it is happening. I’m looking forward to get inspired to teach more about geology and the Arctic in school and also hopefully inspire some of my students to become interested science. Perhaps some of them even will become Arctic scientists in the future!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:16 PM