IPB

( Log In ) Log In is for TREC Teachers & Researchers only

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Arrival in Barrow, Just Remember...Be Flexible!
Steve_Marshall
post Jun 13 2005, 05:22 AM
Post #1

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 12

6/12/05
6:00 am Barrow

Wind: from the E (080 degrees) at 16 MPH (14 KT)
Visibility: 1 mile(s)
Sky conditions: overcast
Weather: Light drizzle /Mist
Precipitation last hour: A trace
Temperature: 32.0 F (0.0 C)
Windchill: 21 F (-6 C)
Dew Point: 30.9 F (-0.6 C)
Relative Humidity: 95%
Pressure (altimeter): 30.18 in. Hg (1022 hPa)

We were told from the start that the best way to approach any research project is to be flexible and go with the flow, and this one is no exception. The first unusual circumstance was my flight out. My path was from Norfolk to Detroit, Detroit to Denver, Denver to Minneapolis, Minneapolis to Fairbanks, and Fairbanks to Barrow. If you don’t know the location of these cities, look them up on a map and you’ll see it’s an unusual flight path. However, be flexible and make the most of it: I enjoyed seeing the change in what the land looked like, and enjoyed seeing the Rocky Mountains. I never realized the eastern part of Colorado was so flat. This is something I wouldn’t have seen if my path was more direct.

Eastern Colorado
IPB Image
This was a benefit of my "unusual" flight plan...Noticing that Colorado isn't only the "Colorado Rockies"

The next event that I had to adapt to was that my luggage did not make it to Barrow. Luckily, it was only in Fairbanks, so it is supposed to get here this morning, and the people at the airport in Barrow were nice enough to supply enough basics such as toothbrush, toothpaste, etc. to get me by until the luggage arrives. This made me realize something important: It’s a good thing we planned to arrive a day or so before we are to be transported to the Healy icebreaker, or I would have been in real trouble. It also brings up another important lesson: Always remember to bring the most critical items with you on the plane. I have my computer, camera, and important paperwork, so I can still do most of the things I need to do while I await the luggage.

Another problem that had to be tackled was there was some miscommunication about where we were staying, and that was compounded by the fact the main organizer missed the flight! However, we all got together and the science organizations here (Barrow Arctic Research Consortium (BASC) and Naval Arctic Research Lab(NARL)) worked hard to accommodate us, and all was taken care of.

Lodging for the Scientists at NARL
IPB Image
It doesn't look the greatest on the outside, but the rooms inside are pretty decent!

More Accomodations
IPB Image
This was where MY room was. This is next to the scientists' lodging shown in the other picture. I think our building was more "modern"

Once the place to stay was settled, we all went to dinner at Pepe’s North of the Border restaurant, “the northern-most Mexican restaurant in North America.” It was great talking with, and listening to, the scientists about interests and backgrounds, but we also started talking about the plans for getting to the Healy icebreaker. Included in this talk were other things we had to adapt to: Phones are turned off at certain times, some only have rotary dialing, most cell phones don’t work here, etc. This all emphasized both how much we have come to rely on technology and take it for granted, but also emphasized how we can come together to overcome those problems.

Always keeping in mind to be flexible has meant that instead of looking in a negative way at some of the situations I’ve described above, I’ve actually had a blast! There’s nothing I like better than being challenged with a change of plans or some other problem, and then coming up with a solution or turning it to an advantage. That’s what scientists do after all--use the scientific method to solve problems. We’ve used that in practical life so many times to this point in the project, and we haven’t even started the “real" science yet! biggrin.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ute_Kaden
post Jun 13 2005, 01:17 PM
Post #2

TREC Teacher

Member No.: 10

I was curiously awaiting your first journal entries and boy were they interesting. I tremendously enjoyed your photos and the stories. I hope your toothbrush has arrived and you are on the Healy by now.
Good luck. smile.gif
Ute

Here the website for everybody to track the Healy:
http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shipposit...phtml?call=NEPP
+Quote Post
Tom_Crumrine
post Jun 13 2005, 02:55 PM
Post #3

TREC Teacher

Member No.: 9

Steve,

Its still really hot here in Fairbanks. Hope they got your luggage to you. Enjoy the trip.

Tom
+Quote Post
Leslie_Pierce
post Jun 13 2005, 04:08 PM
Post #4

TREC Teacher

Member No.: 7

Seeing the pictures makes me miss Barrow. I can't wait to get back there!
+Quote Post
Steve_Marshall
post Jun 13 2005, 05:33 PM
Post #5

TREC Teacher

Member No.: 12

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. Yes, I got my luggage. We're still in Barrow though...Fog is causing some delay and there was a delay yesterday due to needing to load equipment. "Hurry up and wait" is another term that applies here. Just remember....Be flexible! biggrin.gif It's been kind of good in a way, because I've been able to take care of final grades and other administrative stuff back at school that would have been a little harder from the ship. Always use a change in plans for the positive! smile.gif

Thanks for the link, Ute; I hadn't seen that one.

When do you get back, Leslie?
+Quote Post
Leslie_Pierce
post Jun 13 2005, 08:22 PM
Post #6

TREC Teacher

Member No.: 7

I get back to Barrow on July 9th, so we'll miss each other.

Say hello to all of the BASC people... Glenn, Bob, Henry, Alice!

Maybe you'll have time to get a tour of Barrow? It doesn't take long!
+Quote Post
Helen_Wiggins
post Jun 13 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #7

Project Coordinator
Group Icon

Group: ARCUS
Member No.: 4

Great posts so far, Steve and others! We are excited to read your posts from the ship!

Another good website with information about the Healy expedition can be found here: http://www.odu.edu/sci/oceanography/hotrax/index1.htm

Steve's expedition is "Leg 1," and Ute's expedition is "Leg 2."
+Quote Post
Robert_Oddo
post Jun 14 2005, 11:04 PM
Post #8

TREC Teacher

Member No.: 8

Steve,
Great Job on the Webinar today. My students were really fascinated by what you guys are doing and the technology that brought you into our computer lab. They had a million questions for me after it was done.

Hope you are settling in and having a great time.

Bob
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:00 PM