IPB

( Log In ) Log In is for TREC Teachers & Researchers only

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are you out to sea yet & favorite or most interesting thing that has happened thus far?
Donna R. Mills
post May 8 2006, 08:04 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

Hi Sam!
Miss seeing you and my favorite college peers on Thursday nites! Saw my friend Renee Yongue already emailed. She was my son's teacher at daycare years ago. Ask her if you need something "aquatic" drawn for your classroom when you return. She has lots of great ideas and art talent!

So, now that you are busy and in "work mode" I bet the homesickness has gotten much better. Here's some questions: What do they have you working on now? Do you have to test and prep equipment or does your scientist take care of that end of things? Will this event be featured in a Scholastic magazine that will available to middle grades students? What will your topic be when you go to land during your trip to teach the students? Have you gotten used to the time change, your bunk and how's the food? Do you walk and have exercise equipment on the ship to keep in shape? What's the most enjoyable or most interesting thing you've done thus far?

Be happy and enjoy this special adventure. I know you've been an asset to your team already! I'll write again soon.-drm rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Samantha_Dassler_Barlow
post May 18 2006, 08:05 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 23

Hi Donna,
I thought I replied to your post a long time ago! I am very sorry that it didn't get posted. Here are the answers to your questions.
Yes, the homesickness has definitely subsided. I am definitely on the ship and we are sampling every day. I do not have to test or prep any equipment because the scientists have already done all that. It took them only one day to set up the lab. They shipped everything ahead of time. I think that the Healy will be featured and that the work of the scientists will be featured in Scholastic. You would have to ask Patty for a better answer since she's the editor! I was not slated to teach the students in Gambell, just go for a visit - which I did and that journal will be posted in a few days. I am used to the time change, but it is a little hard to go to bed when it is still daylight outside. My mattress is hard, but I can sleep just fine in my bunk - the bottom. The food is outstanding. Much time and prepearation go into preparing it and the majority of what is served is homemade. I think I have gained weight from eating so much. There is exercise equipment in a small gym located one level below the main level. I have not used any of it because I am constantly walking up and down the stairs and opening and closing heavy, water tight doors. The most interesting thing has been the helo ride all the way to St. Lawrence Island. Keep checking back for that journal!
Thanks for writing!
Sincerely,
Sam
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:49 PM