Dena_Rosenberger
post Dec 5 2005, 08:36 AM
Post #1

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 22

Photolysis and Armitage Loop
5 December, 2005

For those interested in things Antarctic, check out the weekly Antarctic newspaper at http://AntarcticSun.usap.gov

Hello from the Ice!
For additional Antarctic pics, check out the Gallery.

Where’s Rosenberger?
McMurdo Station, Ross Island, Antarctica
Thanks to all of my wonderful students who helped me get to this astounding continent!
Hello Environmental Club! Hug a tree for me since there are no trees here!

Today, the PI Christine and co-PI Chris, will take a Pisten Bully back to Cape Royds. Besides Pony Lake, there are several other lakes there. They want to get ice cores from a few of the other lakes to see if they have as much algae as Pony does.

Jenn and I got set up to start a test tomorrow called a Photolysis Experiment. For this experiment, we will take filtered Dissolved Organic Matter (DOM) from last year’s ice cores (because this year’s haven’t been filtered yet) that has been freeze-dried, dissolve it into water again, and place it in large test tubes on the roof of the building in the sun. The idea is to turn it hourly to face the sun for a certain number of hours, then do a series of tests to see if the sunlight (UV and visible light) has effected the chemistry of the DOM. For example, for one of the tests they want to see if the sunlight can break down these large organic molecules into simpler molecules. All of these tests are to try to understand the chemistry of the DOM in the lake and how it changes over the course of the summer. Jenn and I needed to set up the really big test tube rack.
> Drilling holes for the photolysis tube rack. Don't I look studly!
IPB Image

> Jenn threads rubber tubing to hold the test tubes in place:
IPB Image

After we were finished setting up to start this test tomorrow, my friend Jean Pennycook and I decided to go for a walk. Jean is the Polar Education Coordinator here at McMurdo in the winter and works for Fresno Unified School District in California the rest of the year. She has been coming here for four years and she knows all of the walks.

We decided to do the Armitage Loop (maybe we can do our own photolysis experiment to see how good the sun feels), which is out on the sea ice and may not be open much longer because the sea ice is beginning its annual summer break up (Don’t worry, Mom, it is still safe). It is about 6 miles round trip, and some people check out skate skis or cross-country skis since it is all flat. For this walk, you must be a party of at least two, check out at the Fire Station, give an estimated time of return, and carry a radio. This is true of almost all of the walks here.
> Fire truck, McMurdo style:
IPB Image

If you do not check back in by the time you said you would return, within 5 minutes the Search and Rescue (SAR) teams will be activated. This is REALLY bad if you just forgot or weren’t watching the time. Every person must attend an Outdoor Safety Lecture before going on any walks. In this lecture, you learn that you may ONLY be on routes that have a line of either red or green flags. Black flags mean a possible safety hazard such as a large crack in the ice or a crevasse. Even if you want to go to another line of flags, you must not cross over un-flagged land because it has not been checked for dangers.
> Looking back at McMurdo with Mt. Erebus in the background from the Armitage Loop road:
IPB Image

It is a spectacularly beautiful afternoon on the sea ice with almost no wind.
IPB Image

Did you know?
In 1909, Ernest Shackelton trudged on foot to within 156 km of the South Pole before being forced by dwindling supplies to turn back. He later told his wife, “I thought you would rather have a live donkey than a dead lion.”

Current Conditions at McMurdo Station
Incredible conditions today, almost balmy. A system is approaching from the South bringing higher winds and possible snow.

Right now:
Mostly clear and calm
Pressure: 29.405 inHg
Temperature (ABOVE freezing!): 34 oF/ 1 oC with wind chill: 25 F/-4 C
Sunset: February 20 at 1:38 am
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:52 PM