IPB

( Log In ) Log In is for TREC Teachers & Researchers only

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> July 4, 2006 - The Countdown reaches Seven Days!, Getting Ready to PACK!
Misty_Nikula_Ohlsen
post Jul 5 2006, 03:42 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 31

There is only one week until I leave for Russia. There is SO MUCH to DO! Things to get ready for my trip and to finish up around the house and at school before I leave for so long.

Yesterday, I met Ben and Jody and several of the graduate students that will be traveling with me down at the UW. We were going over the last logistics issues, such as getting to the airport, picking up our passports with new Russian visas and tickets from Ben and finishing the last bits of packing.

IPB Image
Our Russian visas are very cool – check out my name in Cyrillic!

There is so much gear that we have to bring to Russia that each of us needs to take some in our checked baggage. I have a big first aid kit, AA batteries, several field journals, two rolls of duct tape, 3 rolls of blue flagging tape, a large tape measure and a couple hundred Ziploc sample bags as my part of the group gear.

IPB Image
My part of the group gear that will go into my bags.

This I will add to all of my personal gear. I have been collecting my own gear and adding it to the gear that I have on loan from Veco Polar Resources. Now I have to manage to fit it all into two duffle bags! Tricky packing indeed.

IPB Image
Here is MOST of my gear (just the clothes, etc), awaiting careful stuffing into my duffle bags.

IPB Image
Here is the rest – the multitude of toiletries that you need for seven weeks!

I still have a short list of items to pick up before I am ready to actually pack. This includes: a neck gaiter, another duffle bag and some compression straps from REI and a phone card for calls when I am in the US portion of my trip (since I won’t bring my cell phone). I also need to decide which books I am going to take with me. I was thinking that I could either take a couple books or one big one that would last me the entire time. So I’ve been trying to get into Les Miserables. It is at least 1200 pages, so would certainly last. Jody has suggested that we each bring 2 books to create a small library that we can share with one another. So I might bring the Hugo classic and one back up book to share with others.

IPB Image
My Les Miserables book – the paper clip is for scale. biggrin.gif

Also on Thursday, I will get my last two immunization shots – my second Hepatitis A/B combo and my third Japanese Encephalitis shots. Then I will be all finished with immunizations until I return. I won’t need to get the third Hepatitis shot until six months after my first one, which is close to Thanksgiving.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:54 AM