IPB

( Log In ) Log In is for TREC Teachers & Researchers only

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> April 24, 2006: My First Official Web Journal Entry, A proper introduction to my Arctic Adventure
Samantha_Dassler_Barlow
post Apr 25 2006, 05:07 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 23

Hey Everybody,
My name is Sam (that's Mrs. Barlow to some of you) and I teach 6th and 7th grade science at The Oakwood School in Greenville, NC. I will be embarking upon my adventure on the USCGC Healy in 8 days! I am incredibly excited about this experience that I will be sharing with you on this web journal. First, I need to tell you a little bit about where I am going and what I will do when I get there, but I highly recommend that you visit the TREC Virtual Base Camp for descriptions to all the expeditions.

Hi everybody! This is me, standing beside the Chena River in Fairbanks, AK.
IPB Image

I will be going to the Bering Sea aboard the USCGC Healy for a whole month with Lee Cooper and Jackie Grebmeier from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Patty Janes, a science editor, will also be going with us. Lee and Jackie will be studying changes in the food web of the Bering Sea that are caused by rising sea temperatures (much more on this to come).

So where is the Bering Sea? Take a look at the map below!
IPB Image

Visit this link for more information about the USCGC Healy:
USCGC Healy
IPB Image

There are lots of thoughts and emotions swirling around inside my brain right now, especially with the trip being so close. When I think of the Bering Sea, I start thinking about it being a half a world away from where I live in North Carolina. I can't believe that I am actually going there on a ship! I wonder if I have purchased the right gear to keep me warm and dry. Will I be able to help the researchers conduct their experiments and still have time to write in my journal everyday? Will they like me and be able to relate to what I am doing? What will life on the ship be like? Will I be able to keep my students interested and help them understand the science of my project?

Aside from having many worries, I have finally come to the point where I feel prepared. Today, in Fairbanks, Alaska, we received the training we needed to be able to write and post pictures to these web journals. By we, I mean me and the other TREC teachers that will be going on their own expeditions and whose journals you can access in the Virtual Base Camp. We have all become fast friends this week as we have been learning about our many responsibilities as TREC teachers. You can see more pictures of our whole group in many of their web journals.

I am not all that well-traveled and I can't believe that I was chosen for this awesome opportunity! I want you to know that this all started out with a tiny spark of curiosity about cold places like the Arctic. If you take action on your curiosity, you never know where you might end up! Look at me, I am going to the Bering Sea!

I hope that you will access my journal often - it will be updated almost every day. I plan on telling you more about the research I am doing and what it is like to live on a Coast Guard ship in the middle of this cold, sunny environment. I need you to post lots of questions to my web journal! Your questions will help me figure out what you are interested in hearing about the most. So, stay tuned and post, post, post!

Points to Ponder... See if you can answer these questions!
What university is located in Greenville, NC (I also teach there)?
Is Greenville located to the east or west of the capital city of Raleigh?
What does 'USCGC' stand for?
What does a science editor do? (You should ask Patty that question in a post!)
What countries border the Bering Sea?
What does TREC stand for?
Where in Alaska is Fairbanks and what might the overall climate be like right now?
What animals might you find in the food web I will be studying (think about the type of environment)?

Giving Thanks...
My husband, Rich has been incredibly supportive and encouraging. I wouldn't be here without him.
Overton's along with the Metcalfe's and The Great Outdoor Provision Company were both very helpful in educating me about the right kind of gear and providing generous discounts. I also wouldn't be here without researchers that saw something in my application and the people at ARCUS, VPR, and NSF-OPP.

Next topic: How long is long underwear?

Love to you all and don't forget to post!
Mrs. Barlow
wink.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:57 PM