IPB

( Log In ) Log In is for TREC Teachers & Researchers only

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My home the KIA car 7-27-05, How do I get around in Alaska?
Ute_Kaden
post Jul 27 2005, 08:00 PM
Post #1

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 10

7-27-05
Seward
How do I get around? My home the KIA SUV

I am sitting in the front lobby of the Seward Holliday Inn which gladly shares the wireless Internet connection with non guests ( I hope). Thanks people. I am on way to… (Needs to be decided in the next hour).
IPB Image
Holliday Inn Seward, AK

Never knowing when it is possible to connect again to the Internet I am trying keeping up with my office work before I leave Seward.
People ask me how I get around in Alaska. Here the sort version of it.
I came unprepared to Alaska only knowing that I have to fly on August second to Dutch Harbor to board the USCGC Healy. I had made no reservation in advance except for the first night stay in Motel 6 in Anchorage ($ 120.00 per night). Assessing the situation that the $120.00 was at the low end of the accommodation costs, that everything in the hotspots of Alaska is booked and that I have to get transportation for my equipment and myself, I decided to rent a SUV with seats that’s fold back.
IPB Image
Picture of my "Rig" as the people say. "Is that right?" Yes, it is my home, office and transportation- The multi KIA
Lucky me I got this almost brand new KIA. It drives great and has enough safe space for all the language and myself.
IPB Image

After investing in a good sleeping bag and a cheap air mattress I can sleep safely protected from rain and bears. Sowers can be found at the Harbors and campgrounds for little money and remember everybody is gear depended and so you have to charge up the batteries, phone laptop etc. from time to time. Just take the stuff with you and pluck it in during eating in a restaurant.
IPB Image
The storage room is on the left side and sleeping room is on the right side in the back of the car. Where is the living room? Outdoors Alaska with the magic beauty of the land and the people that live here.
IPB Image
My office is in front of the car with windows that guarantee a 360 degree nature view.
Cleaning is easy takes almost no time. The only problem I search all the time for things ?!

IPB Image
I parked at the Whittier Campground and overnight the huge cruise ship came in. It changed my view completely.
IPB Image
IPB Image
Welcome visitors to my campsite (It is not a bear!)
[img]
IPB Image
What a great dog.
IPB Image
Some people travel the hard way. On foot and with an i-pod on his side.
IPB Image
Exit Glacier Seward
IPB Image
Rocks and rivers can tell stories if one listens…
IPB Image
Seward, AK Harbor Campground early morning

Alaska is a beautiful state. I have the most incredible views from my campsites. Having the time to appreciate my surroundings makes it a lasting impression.

View from my car
Catching the last day light and seeing it again after a short 4h night awakened by the cold icy air from the nearby glacier, sitting on a rock, listen to how the wind bays and the river tells its stories,
Forgotten pasts,
new day,
starting over, good morning. . .
IPB Image

Ute
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Leslie_Pierce
post Jul 27 2005, 10:49 PM
Post #2

TREC Teacher

Member No.: 7

What a great camping trip. That's the best way to see Alaska!

Where to next?
+Quote Post
Ute_Kaden
post Aug 2 2005, 08:27 AM
Post #3

TREC Teacher

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(Leslie_Pierce @ Jul 27 2005, 10:49 PM)
What a great camping trip.  That's the best way to see Alaska!

Where to next?

Leslie,

I did not know where to go next, and this is a good thing. I talked to people and went to Valdez. Cool place, unfortunately lots of rain but luckily lots of Salmons. Really cool to watch them spawn and die. I had never seen it before. I drove Glenn High Way down to Anchorage. Rain stopped at the intersection to Hatcher Pass, so I took it. What a magnificent treat!!! National Geographic photos !!!!
People told me they need teachers with a commercial pilot license in Alaska education???? Yes, that would be me!! My husband coaches soccer! He is very competitive! I just love it here. Good luck for your upcoming project.

Love Ute
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:10 AM