Ute_Kaden
post Jul 23 2005, 06:08 AM
Post #1

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 10

Gone Fishing!
Seward, 7-22-05

Yesterday (7-21-05) I drove form Whittier to Seward. The small coastal town of Seward is located about 125 miles south of Anchorage, about 3 hours by road. Seward is situated on Resurrection Bay on the southeast coast of the Kenai Peninsula. It lies at the foot of Mount Marathon, and is the gateway to the Kenai Fjords National Park.
IPB Image
Resurrection Bay was named in 1792 by Russian fur trader and explorer Alexander Baranof. While sailing from Kodiak to Yakutat, he found unexpected shelter in this bay for a storm. He named the Bay Resurrection because it was the Russian Sunday of the Resurrection. As an ice-free harbor, Seward has become an important supply center for Interior Alaska. Big cruise ships come here.
IPB Image
Two big cruise ships in the Seward Harbor

Strolling through the down of Seward I found that lots of activity is centered on fishing. The catch of the day gets cleaned and packed for shipping home.
IPB Image
Fish gets cleaned at the docks of Seward

I took some guts but I signed up for a dual fishing trip meaning fishing for Halibut and Salmon on one day.
We left he harbor by 6:30 am early morning.
IPB Image
Lots of water hits the boat

VECO Polar Resources had equipped me with steel toe rubber boots and rain gear which came in handy. I had booked the fishing trip last minute and I found myself in a group of 13 men on a medium size boat.
IPB Image
Our fishing boat

I listened with some respect to the fishing tales and thought at least I can enjoy the beautiful scenery if I do not catch anything.

The two guides showed us how to handle fishing rod, bait and all the other stuff one needs to know to go fishing. We went for Halibut first.
IPB Image
Bait for Halibut
We waited and waited and than the fun started. I was the 5 person to catch one. I can tell you it is hard work to reel a 45 pound Halibut in. I did it all by myself. What a fun it was.
Our limit was 2 Halibuts and I got two.
IPB Image
My first big fish, a 30 pound Halibut
IPB Image
Halibut is a flat fish living on the bottom of the ocean. This one is about 40 years old.

About noon almost everybody had caught he two Halibut (not everybody) and we went for Coho Salmons also called “Silver”. This type of fishing is diffrent. Most memorable, if a Salmon bites it starts fighting and one had to follow. We were running on the boat, over and under the fishing poles of the people.
IPB Image
Coho Salmon also called "Silver"

The limit was 3 per person and guess what I caught 3 beautiful Coho Salmon. Great fun! Overall, I had done unexpectedly well (and a bit better as some of the men).
IPB Image
Trophy show

The fish gets cleaned and packed right on the boat.
IPB Image
IPB Image
Our catch of the day
Unfortunately, I could not take the fish home, remember I will be on the USCGC Healy.
I never, ever had caught such big fish like Halibut or like the “Silver” Salmon. It was just a great experience and lots of fun.

Ute
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Janet_Warburton
post Jul 25 2005, 07:16 PM
Post #2

Project Manager
Group Icon

Group: ARCUS
Member No.: 13

Looks like you had a beautiful day for fishing! I'm so glad you are sharing your Alaska trip with us! Let us know when/if you are headed to Fairbanks!

Janet
+Quote Post
Leslie_Pierce
post Jul 26 2005, 12:38 AM
Post #3

TREC Teacher

Member No.: 7

Hi Ute,

You should visit Barrow, too!

I'm here until the 2nd, then out to band snow geese.

Leslie
+Quote Post
Ute_Kaden
post Jul 27 2005, 09:45 PM
Post #4

TREC Teacher

QUOTE(Leslie_Pierce @ Jul 26 2005, 12:38 AM)
Hi Ute,

You should visit Barrow, too! 

I'm here until the 2nd, then out to band snow geese. 

Leslie

Hi Leslie,
good hearing from you. I would love to come to Barrow. I have to fly!!!! Well, next time.
I love Alaska and maybe we look for jobs here in the future like you did 10 years ago. I come and visit you than. Take care and I will follow your posts.
Love
Ute
+Quote Post
Ute_Kaden
post Jul 27 2005, 09:47 PM
Post #5

TREC Teacher

QUOTE(Janet_Warburton @ Jul 25 2005, 07:16 PM)
Looks like you had a beautiful day for fishing!  I'm so glad you are sharing your Alaska trip with us!  Let us know when/if you are headed to Fairbanks!

Janet

Hi Janet,
I will let you know. I have a great time here and I am in love with Alaska.
Ute
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:50 PM