Ute_Kaden
post Jul 20 2005, 12:14 AM
Post #1

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 10

7-18-2005
Whittier- Anchorage’s Gateway to Prince William Sound

Since today I am one of the fortunate people that have visited Prince William Sound. What an unusually beautiful coastal area of South Central Alaska, glaciers amidst snow-capped mountains reaching over 13000 ft.
IPB Image
Whittier Map
After a two hour drive from Anchorage I reached the city of Whittier. A 2.5 – mile World War II-era railroad tunnel now shared by cars is the only way in, very cool. Travelers be aware, get the tunnel opening times before you have to wait in line for and hour or so (www.dot.state.ak.us)
IPB Image
Railroad and car tunnel to Whittier, 2.5 mil long
Whittier is a major transit point for ferries, cruise ships and recreational boats, all of which connect here with the Alaska Railroad.
IPB Image
Whittier is a point where railroad and ships meet

The harbor is mostly ice free and the city itself was established by the US Army during World War II as “secret port”. Large (ugly) concrete buildings still remain from this era.
I booked a 6h cruise to see the glaciers. Where is my cruise ship?
IPB Image
That was the new view I had in the morning from my camp side. The night before it was not there.
IPB Image
Which ship will I board for the glacier cruise?

No, it is not that huge Princess cruise liner, it is that small vessel next to it.
IPB Image
Here we go to visit the glaciers of Prince William Sound. Note the Princess cruise ship is not moving a bit. We are.
We watched out for sea life. Sea Otters (Enhydra lutris) crossed our path.
IPB Image
Otters on the back sleeping or eating or playing

Sea Otters, the smallest of marine mammals, are oodles of energy bundled in fur (29-39’’ long). Although they swim and hunt for food each day, they have plenty of time to play. Sea Otters feeding on fish, squid, sea urchins and crabs. They often float on their backs using their stomachs as a table for food.

Prince William Sound extends to the 60th parallel and is farther north than Cape Horn South. The landscape has been shaped by earthquakes and extensive glaciations.
IPB Image
Glaciers of Prince William Sound

Each glacier has a personality often quite different from that of its neighbors. Are they shrinking, growing, or holding their own? Scientists work on recording their behavior and trying to find answers which may predict a climate change.
There are two types of glaciers polar (cold climate of Greenland and Antarctica) and temperate ones. Temperate glaciers surrounding the Prince William Sound are at or near freezing point during most of the year and slide over their bedrock. About 17 tidewater (calving) glaciers terminating at sea level here.
IPB Image
One of the tidewater claciers after calving. Look at the small icebergs drifting in the water.

What everybody likes to see the glacier do? Calving
Calve: the process of ice breaking from the face of a glacier.
We waited and waited and than suddenly it just happened. A cracking sound and a huge part of the glacial ice broke off (calving) the Beloit Glacier and fell into the water followed by a loud booming noise and wave action. I was stunned. The captain acknowledged that this was the largest piece that he had seen falling off in the last 3 years.
IPB Image
Look a big part that is falling off . The glacier is calving.

IPB Image
After calving big waves started toward our boat and all the ice is in the water in front of the glacier
IPB Image
The same glacier berfore calving. Can you see the crack in the middle?

It was time to go back to Whittier. I am wondering, what else can follow this event?

Ute
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:34 PM