IPB

( Log In ) Log In is for TREC Teachers & Researchers only

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> White Park Field Trip, Back to School!
Tom_Crumrine
post Sep 8 2005, 10:59 PM
Post #1

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 9

8 September 2005

Our first field trip to White's Park was great time on a beautiful day. Some of the kids seemed a little bit confused about what to look for but they all got into it in the end. I suppose after years of being told exactly what to do it might be a little hard to be told to find out what YOU are interested in.

IPB Image

In this photo Sol dips in looking for frogs and snails. Actually I'm not really sure what he was looking for but I was using a 1998 digital camera and I only had disc (that's right disc) space for 17 pictures so I had to be economical. Look out for better pictures in the future.

We also used the seine net....

IPB Image

and caught quite a few frogs and sunfish. We were hoping for a big one but it got away until another day.

And finally I did get one of the whole gang on the bank.

IPB Image

Tomorrow in class we will be looking at what we found. Using diagnostic books we will be identifying what micro and macroscopic organisms we collected. The whole idea for this beginning unit on water is to get students excited about being outside and to get their minds thinking about what they want to do some research on in the future.

Our next trip is to Smith Bog in a week or so...watch for updates.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:48 PM