Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What does a TREC Teacher Do?, Daily TREC Acitivities
John_Sode
post May 25 2005, 04:20 AM
Post #1

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 11

So, you want to be a TREC teacher!!!! Congratulations!!! This is fast becoming one of the most enriching and fascinating experiences of both my personal and professional life. Without question, the program has been worth the five plus years I took applying for, training for, and reapplying for before I was accepted.
During a recent conversation with my students in class, one of them asked, "So, Dr. Sode, what will do now that you've been accepted?" That is a really good question. When I talked with the students some more, I learned that what they really wanted to know was, "What do you do everyday that relates to TREC?" Therefore, I am developing a daily summary activity log to help answer this question. The log is listed below in reverse order--the most recent daily activities are listed first.

24 June 2005

1. Learned about and practiced posting photos in the gallery.

2. Worked with the local paper on a story about the program.

3. Worked on journal postings.

23 June 2005

1. Read Article "Tracking an Iceberg the Size of a State" in National Geographic, May 1991.

2. Posted article and related lesson plans on the Arcus site.

17 June 2005

1. Took part in webnar from Toolik Field Station in Alaska. World History and Science Summer school students participated in the discussion.

2. Worked with ARCUS on technical details involving equipment, communications, and travel. Everyone is so supportive. The guidance that is provided is just fantastic.

16 June 2005

1. Made arrangements to alter lunch schedule so students could particpate in the webnar.

2 GEAR ARRIVED!!!! Tried on rain gear, tested sleeing bags, tried on rain boots, parkas, hats, neck protetors, and other cold weather outdoor gear. Had a great time. For an outdoors/backpacking person, this was like Christmas in June. Too bad all of this neat stuff has to be returned!

3. Began working on gear posting.

15 June 2005

1. Attended the funeral services of student scheduled to be in my second semester summer school class. See post "Tragedy for high school students for more information."

2. Relayed passport and other information to ARCUS for travel clearance aboard New York Air National Guard Flights to and from Greenland.

3. Corresponded with TEA (Teachers experiencing the Arctic/Antarctic) about IceNews, a new online newspaper/magazine being developed by a TEA member.

14 June 2005

1. Science and English summer school classes participate in a webnar with TREC Teacher Steve Marshall on board the USGC Healy. See Steve's posting for more information about his trip.

2. Update log information.

13 June 2005

1. Altered daily lesson plans for participation in live webnar to deal with an unexpected, serious tradegy in the high school. For more details, see "Tragedy for our high school, We just don't get it--Alcohol kills."

2. Corresponded with VECO Polar Resources to arrange transportation to Albany, New York to connect with the Greenland flight.

3. Corresponded with VECO Polar Resources to arrange clothing and Arctic gear shipments to Missouri so that all equipment could be checked for sizes.

12 June 2005

1. Worked with support team members to schedule equipment arrivals. All work done via email.

2. Began making arrangements for summer school students to participate in live webnars from the Arctic.

10 June 2005

1. Taught the "Types of phone lesson in class today." Modified the lesson to include a demonstration of interference by attempting to make calls from inside the gym as well as outside the gym. Used the demonstration to teach the importance of "line of sight" in communications.

2. Students and teachers participated in a simulated Emergency Medical Dispension Drill--a practice session to train emergency personnel on how to set-up a medical team to provide medications to vast numbers of people in the event of a medical emergency.

3. Visited the local courthouse to complete passport application forms and sign forms in the presence of the appropriate court officers.

26 May 2005

1. Tested "How do phones work?" lesson plan. A special thanks to the
2005 Marshfield High School Sciene Credit Recovery Class for testing the the lesson plan. See Experiments and Activities on 27 May 2005 for the complete lesson plan.

25 May 2005

1. Wrote a lesson plan on "How do phones work?"

2. Collected background information for the "How do phones work?" lesson plan.

3. Collected information about Missouri fens and Greenland fens.

24 May 2005

1. Read articles in The Caliper related to electronic probes and Arctic research studies.

2. Sent ARCUS-related emails for information about projects and activities.

3. Downloaded research papers related to my project.

4. Wrote Journal and Experiment postings on the website.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:39 AM