IPB

( Log In ) Log In is for TREC Teachers & Researchers only

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hello from Gambell on Saint Lawrence Island
Ayapaa
post May 10 2006, 11:01 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

Hello, my name is Ayapaa, which is my Yupik (Eskimo) name. In English, I am called Robert. Soonagrook is my last name. I am 13 and in Mr. Woolf's science class right now. I like to hunt for seal, and only a little bit for walrus. I don't know how to shoot them correctly yet. Where do you live, and how do you get food? Do you hunt? I gotta go, the bell is about to ring. Please write back. (Are you coming to Gambell on the Healy? If you do, I can show you around the village. I might be too shy!)

Sincerely,

Ayapaa
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ruth_Cooper
post May 12 2006, 12:26 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 35

Hi Ayapaa!
I'd love to have a tour around your village!We're coming there pretty soon,I think!We have to pick up Gay and Doug!I live in Tennessee, and we don't usually hunt 4 food.When I went to camp I did archery and riflery once! I've never actually shot somthing though.On the ship I saw seals and walruses!I really want to see a polar bear!Can you right back and tell me when I should come in?

Thanks alot for writing!
Ruth Cooper
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
for Ayapaa
post May 12 2006, 06:12 PM
Post #3

Unregistered

QUOTE(Ruth_Cooper @ May 12 2006, 12:26 AM) *

Hi Ayapaa!
I'd love to have a tour around your village!We're coming there pretty soon,I think!We have to pick up Gay and Doug!I live in Tennessee, and we don't usually hunt 4 food.When I went to camp I did archery and riflery once! I've never actually shot somthing though.On the ship I saw seals and walruses!I really want to see a polar bear!Can you right back and tell me when I should come in?

Thanks alot for writing!
Ruth Cooper

Ayapaa is taking a social studies test right now. Hopefully he can write later today, to answer you. Do you know when and/or if the Healy is coming to Gambell? Gay Sheffield thought a few days ago that she was being picked up by helicopter on the 15th, Monday, not by the ship itself, because of concern that the ship coming too close might be a problem if the Gambell hunters are still out in their boats near the village. You asked, "...tell me when I should come in..." When CAN you come in? Anytime on Monday after about 11 AM would be good, or later in the week. We are scheduled to have a conference with the Healy at 9:30 AM on Monday. Another student, Michelle Slwooko, will likely write to you later today, probably before noon. She is a student, recently turned 12, who would likely show you around the village together with Ayapaa. I will see if her mother, a highly respected elder, can accompany all of you as well. Tell us what you'd especially like to see, perhaps the walrus-skin whaling boats (aypaik)? Yimmi, Michelle's mother, can tell you how the women split the femal hides for these remarkable craft. --teacher Bob Woolf, for Ayapaa
+Quote Post
Stephan Apangalook
post May 12 2006, 06:24 PM
Post #4

Unregistered

You can tell the teacher, Samantha, that Bob made a spelling mistake, too! The boat name is spelled angyapik! (He knew this, but made the mistake anyway. The spell check doesn't have this in it...but it can be added.)
+Quote Post
Michelle
post May 12 2006, 08:11 PM
Post #5

Unregistered

Hi Ruth,
Hello, I am the student who is going to show you around with Ayapaa. I am 12, as Bob had told you. I 'm in 6th grade, how old are you and what grade are you in? Nothing really much to write. LOL:) Are you excited to visit Gambell? How many walruses have you seen? Did you see any polar bears?
Write back soon,
Michelle
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:19 PM