IPB

( Log In ) Log In is for TREC Teachers & Researchers only

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> May 10, 2006 – My Very Own MasterCard Commercial, Always check your spelling – you never know who is reading!
Samantha_Dassler_Barlow
post May 12 2006, 12:18 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 23

Date: May 10, 2006

Patty and I went wandering around the ship last night after I woke up from my sleepy day. We ended up on the 04 deck where the officers’ staterooms are. This is a big ship and many of the passageways look the same, so it is easy to get lost. I had to ask one of the officers in the lounge for directions. This big, burly officer, CW02 Gus Tyler, asks if I am the teacher with the last name Barlow and if I knew a retired CW04 with the last name Dassler? Can you imagine how astonished I was? That’s my dad!!! Gus delivered a message to me from my dad, “Check your journals for spelling errors.” I apparently didn’t use spell check in those journals that I posted from the Dutch Harbor public library.

To top it all off, I was on the bridge last night and the OOD (officer on deck) reminded me that I need to check my spelling. And then, today, the captain of the ship, Captain Oliver, said that he had a message from my dad that is a reminder to check my spelling. I can’t win.

My life has now become a MasterCard commercial. Oddly enough, I used a MasterCard while I was in Dutch Harbor to pay for my hotel and meals. Somebody send this one in! (I spell checked this one 3 times just for you, Dad. Great nautical reference to fathoms, too.)

MasterCard commercial courtesy of CW04 Ed Dassler, retired U.S. Coast Guard:

Exploring the Bearing Sea – Unfathomable!
A cruise on the USCGC Healy – An unbelievable once in a life time opportunity!
A member of the Scientific Team – An education available nowhere else in the world!
A message from her dad to check her spelling from the officers, including the captain of the ship – Priceless!

IPB Image
Me, on my unfathomable, once in a lifetime opportunity, receiving an education available nowhere else in the world – a message from my dad to spell check my journals.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:37 AM