Reply to this topicStart new topic
> We're Here!!
Amy_Clapp
post Jun 28 2005, 06:08 PM
Post #1

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 6

Well, we’ve made it to Inuvik although it started off rather sketchy. We showed up at the airport for our 9:35 a.m. at 8:00 a.m. to find out our flight left at 8:00 a.m. We couldn’t quite figure it out, but then found out that we had gotten placed on a different airline—all's well that ends well—or a better cliché would be, everything happens for a reason--BECAUSE--Our flight stopped in Yellowstone, and we all had to deboard. As we were waiting Max started talking to the woman next to us, who was traveling on to Inuvik and she told us that the chief of Tsiigehtchic (Peter Ross) was sitting at the end of the row. So, we went over to talk to him and it was GREAT to finally meet someone from Tsiigehtchic face to face rather than on the phone. We had been having a hard time lining up a place to stay while we were there, and had figured we may have to drive back and forth from Inuvik while we tried to get to know the community better….but after talking to Chief Ross for five minutes, he was on his cell phone making calls, and by the time we loaded the plan again, he assured us there would be a place for us to stay in Tsiigehtchic—YEAH!!

Bart Blais, who works for DIAND (Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development) met us at the airport and we dropped our stuff off at the hotel and then got to work. First, we went to a storage facility of sorts that houses all the PARNTERS gear, including tons of coolers, bottles, filters, and the churn.

IPB Image

We also looked at “the bomb”, which is the D-96 or the Depth Integrated Sampler. We loaded the equipment into the truck and then headed to the boat that we will be using and made sure everything was all set with that.

IPB Image

IPB Image

So, we are pretty much all set to sample on Wednesday, which will be a very long day—assuming all goes well.

Tomorrow, we will spend some time talking to some people in Inuvik, including tribal leaders and other community folks in an attempt to make some contacts here for future trips and with a hope to get some students involved in some of the sampling (that would be ideal)

A couple of my first impressions of the town--
1.) Everyone has a truck or SUV--everyone.
2.) There are tons and tons and tons of little lakes here--makes Minnesota look rather whimpy.
3.) It is amazing to me that this town is the same size as Zhigansk in Siberia--it seems so much bigger.
4.) I'm remembering how hard it is to sleep with 24 hours of daylight!!

Until tomorrow,
Amy
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Janet_Warburton
post Jun 28 2005, 09:01 PM
Post #2

Project Manager
Group Icon

Group: ARCUS
Member No.: 13

So glad you FINALLY got to there! What an adventure - and you thought traveling in Siberia was a challenge smile.gif Can't wait to see how the rest of the trip goes.

Janet
+Quote Post
Tom_Crumrine
post Jun 29 2005, 05:27 AM
Post #3

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 9

Amy,

I know what you mean about the light--but in reverse. I'm wondering what I'm going to do if I wake up in the middle of the night and it is dark--I won't know what to think. Luckily I haven't had any trouble sleeping in the light and it is very comforting to be in a strange place, wake up in the middle of the night and have daylight.

Glad you finally made it--I look forward to your next entry.

Tom
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:59 PM