Live From the USCG Icebreaker Healy
8-18-05

Ship Position Information at 2005/08/18 22:29:01 UTC
Longitude: 176 57.374 W Latitude: 78 10.991 N
"IBCAO" depth: 987 m Multibeam depths(Previous Cruises/Current): NA / NA
Seabeam Centerbeam depth: 882.5
Speed: 4.7 Heading: 356.8 Water Temp: -1.438 Sal: 28.38

IPB Image

We are continuing collecting seismic data; the ice crew flew on the Helicopter to deploy an ice buoy and the coring people are getting ready for a long core after midnight. They survey the area for the best coring location. There is no previous data in other words-nobody else has done coring before in this area. Real research starts here☺.

IPB Image
That is our current location - Mendeleyev ridge

IPB Image
Our previous Track

I just ask the officer on the bridge to show me on the marine map were we are. Guess what –uncharted waters we are so fare out from land that no decent scaled map exists. The one he presented looked more like a top view of the globe to me.

IPB Image
Mr. Boggeln shows me the map with our position

Yesterday, 8-17-05, we hosted our first live conference from the USCGC Healy. It was a very successful one.

IPB Image
MSTC Don Snider and myself ready to go - photo by Eva Gronlund

I like to thank everybody involved. What a great team effort. Special thanks to Wendy Warnick (Executive Director ARCUS) doing a great job as moderator , Tim Anzelmo and all the other people from ARCUS, Uwe Hoffmann (Physics Teacher, Hanna High School, Brownsville TX) handling the logistics in Brownsville ,the Brownsville science teachers and everybody else who contributed to the success by asking all those interesting questions.

IPB Image
Brownsville I.S.D. science teachers listening to the TREC webinar live from the USCGC Healy 8-17-05

On the USCGC Healy we had Captain Dan Oliver, OPS Jim Dalitsch, Don Perovich (ice), Dennis Darby (coring), Bernie Coakley (seismic), David Hassilev (communications), John Rand (coring), Paula Zimmermann (coring), Eva Gronlund (Swedish Polar Office) and Ruben Fritzon (Swedish outreach teacher) on the conference table answering your questions. What a group of people!

IPB Image
Dennis Darby, Bernie Coakley, Captain D. Oliver at the conference table for the TREC webinar - photo by Eva Gronlund

Most importantly, MSTC (Marine Science Technician, Chief) Don Snider was in charge of the iridium satellite phone connection and had the right touch on the phone. He dialed the most stable iridium connection we could hope for. Don’s comment: “All in the magic finger”. My 8 year old son Michael participated as well and it was great hearing his voice. Hi Michael…

IPB Image
MTSC Don, Ute and Swedish teacher Ruben during the TREC webinar - photo by Eva Gronlund

A personal comment- I was quite nervous about the live conference. Just think of the logistic involved. If the iridium phone cannot pick up the satellites…Well, we cannot do a lot about it. Tim Anzelmo (ARCUS) calmed me down writing in his e-mail: “ …. I think being disconnected contributes to the "romantic" aspect of being in a remote location. “
I shared this statement with the Healy crew and we still laugh about it. It is somewhat true.

IPB Image
Today’s ice view from the Healy Deck in the morning, 0ºC, good visibility
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brenda
post Aug 25 2005, 03:58 PM
Post #2

Unregistered

Who is funding this trip and who choose which scientist/projets would be on board-was it NSF?

Are you still sighting birds? IF not, where was the last bird sighted and what kind of bird was it?

Thanks for the pictures and updates-we love em! wink.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:45 AM