( Log In ) Log In is for TREC Teachers & Researchers only

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Walrus babies
David Janes
post Apr 25 2006, 07:09 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

Dear Patty,

I understand that the chances you will see Walrus babies while at sea is high given that they are born in May and June. Due to the rising temperatures in the region these walrus babies have no place to live while their mothers are feeding and, as such, many do not survive for long. I wonder if you have given thought to designing artifical platforms that are environmentally safe on which these walrus babies could live while their mothers are feeding?

Sincerely,
David
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Patricia_Janes
post Apr 25 2006, 07:47 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 24

QUOTE(David Janes @ Apr 25 2006, 02:09 PM) *

Dear Patty,

I understand that the chances you will see Walrus babies while at sea is high given that they are born in May and June. Due to the rising temperatures in the region these walrus babies have no place to live while their mothers are feeding and, as such, many do not survive for long. I wonder if you have given thought to designing artifical platforms that are environmentally safe on which these walrus babies could live while their mothers are feeding?

Sincerely,
David

Dear David,

Thank you for your thoughtful question. You are correct that researchers have discovered a surprising number of abandoned baby walruses in the arctic. I have never heard of a scientist coming up with the idea of artificial platforms on which the walrus pups could rest. When I board the Healy, I will ask the scientists on board whether or not artificial platforms would be feasible.

It seems like such a platform would be very costly. In addition, many more animals--other than just walrus pups--are in danger from globabl warming. Thus, I believe that it would be best to try to put an end to the rising temperatures by curbing heat-trapping emissions.

For more information on the abandoned walrus pups, visit this news site from msnbc:
Abandoned Walrus Pups

Thanks again for the great question!
-Patty
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:02 PM