IPB

( Log In ) Log In is for TREC Teachers & Researchers only

> River Sampling Frequency
Laura
post Jun 30 2005, 12:33 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

Hi Tom,

Collecting all the samples from the river sounds like a big undertaking. How often is that done? Quarterly, monthly? And how long does it take to analyze 500 water samples?

I heard some good news on the global warming front last evening on NPR. The insurance industry is putting a cost to it. They estimated that weather related claims caused by the effects of global warming (increased occurance of hurricanes, etc.) will increase by 60 percent. Unfortunately, I didn't catch exact numbers past that, so I can't say if it'll increase 60 percent over last year or the past 5 years.* Still, since it seems that change is often influenced by money, assigning a dollar amount to the effects of global warming may be a step in the right direction to influence more proactive planning.

Laura

* I failed to catch the details b/c I was painting the kitchen...green, not orange, although I'm sure Heidi's color choice is beautiful. : )
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 1)
Tom_Crumrine
post Jun 30 2005, 08:49 PM
Post #2

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 9

Laura,

Yes, it is a large number of samples. As I remember it I think they said they could analyze one sample every minute so it would take a while to analyze all of them. I believe that they were going to analyze the samples and then they were going to test some different things during the course of the week. I will try to ask Mike Gooseff and see what he says.

Tom
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:34 AM