( Log In ) Log In is for TREC Teachers & Researchers only

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Survival
Ange and Jackie
post May 19 2005, 04:46 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

Crumrine, biggrin.gif

We were wondering (huh.gif), if you had ever been in a situation when you went climbing/hiking/snow shoeing, or any other wilderness expedition cool.gif without technology. If yes, was it scary? ohmy.gif If no, are you planning on doing that in Alaska? dry.gif

Also, if you did that in Alaska, what sorts of resources would you use? And would you be scared? mellow.gif

-Ange and Jack smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_Crumrine
post May 20 2005, 02:52 PM
Post #2

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 9

Angela and Jackie,

Thanks for writing in. There have been several times in New Hampshire that I have gone hiking and camping without technology. Most recently I went on a winter hike of Mt Lafayette which is about 2 hours north of Concord. The more you hike the more you leave civilization behind. It is a great feeling to get a little bit away. The difference between Alaska and New Hampshire will be the remoteness. Hiking in New Hampshire you often can still hear the highway even though you are miles away. I'm certain that Alaska won't be like that.

I can tell you one time I was scared--really scared. I was hiking up Mt. Chocorua in the winter. I was the only person that had been there in a while so I was cutting fresh tracks. This was fun but when I'm alone my mind goes crazy and I start imagine getting devoured by bears. Well, I had hiked for several hours and was nearing the top at the point where the trees end and the exposed peak begins. It was then that I looked ahead and noticed some deep posthole tracks coming toward me. I knew it was possible that someone had camped out but it was unlikely. I was pretty scared even though I knew that realistically there was nothing to worry about. I kept going for a little and I was getting more comfortable with the tracks when I noticed something move in the brush about 30 feet away. I yelled out and the thing started to move toward me. The brush was too thick to see what it was so I assumed it was either a very carnivorous bear or a murderer. I took off running back down the mountain, tripped on my snowshoes and rolled down a pretty long hill. My face was covered in snow and of course it had gone down my neck and back. I looked up the hill and there was my murderer--a big old moose. He looked down at me with the cow-like stare all moose give off but this time with a little bit of "you must be some kind of idiot."

I've got stories of run ins with bears and bears near my tent but this was the time in the woods when I was the most frightened--the time my imagination nearly scared me to death.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:19 PM