Reply to this topicStart new topic
> preparation for the field
Robert_Oddo
post Jul 18 2005, 06:58 AM
Post #1

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 8

We are beginning to prepare for our 4 weeks in the field. Today we spent a couple hours assembling equipment and packing it for the field. This is a large job because if we forget something, that data will not be collected in the field season. So we have checklists. We check the list and the contents of our pelican boxes full of gear.
IPB Image
checking gear

Going out in the field

Here in Svalbard the weather is constantly changing and it is important that you bring the proper gear in the field with you. Generally the temperatures hover right around the freezing mark and the wind blows pretty much all the time. It can rain or snow almost any time. To be comfortable, one must dress in layers and have pretty good raingear. Usually when going out in the field, I have a layer of polypro bottoms and tops no matter what the weather is. Then some sort of field pants and a thin fleece. On top of that I might have a nylon shell. That’s it when it’s sunny. Usually I wear a baseball cap, my hiking boots, and a pair of wool socks. If it gets cloudy and rainy with wind, then I start to put some more layers on. Usually I carry this stuff in my pack. I have under armor top, a thicker windproof fleece and a down vest and a waterproof shell. I wear a pair of bib type rain pants and a fleece hat but also can put a hood up. I might also carry an extra pair of socks as well as my rubber boots depending on where we are going. I have a couple of energy bars in my pack or lunch as well as water. One person in our group usually carries a rifle and a flare gun to keep bears away. This person is responsible for scanning the area while field work is being done. Since it is cold, wet and windy much of the time, hypothermia is a constant threat and it is very important they one is prepared when out in the field.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:43 PM