Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Made it to Fairbanks, It is really warm here
Tom_Crumrine
post Jun 12 2005, 02:48 PM
Post #1

TREC Teacher

Group: TREC Team
Member No.: 9

I'm starting to think there is something funny about Alaska. All of the pictures you see make it seem like it is really cold but both times I have been here it has been warmer than New Hampshire. Maybe they are trying to keep all of this amazing weather a secret.

I arrived in Fairbanks yesterday afternoon at 4 pm. That's 9pm Eastern so, as my students already know, way past my bedtime. I'm leaving Eastern time behind for a while so I did stay up until 9 Alaska time to start acclimating myself. It was easy to do because at 5pm the sun was almost straight up in the sky and it was so bright that I just had to stand and look at the day for a while.

There are tons of pictures that I have already but the hookup I have right now seems to be from an earlier time. I will get everything going tomorrow when I am at the ARCUS office. So definitely look for more pictures as the week goes on.

Today I'm going to buy gear that I didn't want to carry on the plane--bug spray--and that type of stuff. I'm also going to try and find a little hike or walk to do. I've already gone to the Alaska bird observatory and once again confirmed that I'm really not that into birds. (Sorry Dr. Ridgely.) It was a beautiful and expansive field. They type of gigantic green grass field that makes you want to throw the frisbee.

Since this trip has finally become a reality I wanted to officially thank some people. First the amazing and helpful people at ARCUS who have been great at every step of the way. Donie who has sent me lots of literature to try to begin to understand what she does; Tom Sica, Gene Connolly and Lise Bofinger for the recommendations you sent; and of course my amazing students (yes, you too Pat) who have at least feigned interest in this project because they could see how into it I was.

Here's what I'm doing the next few days.
Monday--work at ARCUS
Tuesday--trip up to the Toolik site along the Dalton highway
Wednesday and Thursday--begin work with Donie and her crew.
Friday at noon eastern--power point presentation of what has happened so far

More later,
Tom
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
admin
post Jun 12 2005, 05:04 PM
Post #2

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE(Tom_Crumrine @ Jun 12 2005, 02:48 PM)
I'm starting to think there is something funny about Alaska.  All of the pictures you see make it seem like it is really cold but both times I have been here it has been warmer than New Hampshire.  Maybe they are trying to keep all of this amazing weather a secret.

When I left Alaska in 2003, I think I took all its bad weather with me . Have fun in Fairbanks, Tom! Give all the ARCUS people my best and enjoy the weather. It's a veritable paradise compared to this...

The current conditions in Bozeman, Montana:

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Steve_Marshall
post Jun 12 2005, 10:32 PM
Post #3

TREC Teacher

Member No.: 12

QUOTE(Tom_Crumrine @ Jun 12 2005, 02:48 PM)
I'm starting to think there is something funny about Alaska.  All of the pictures you see make it seem like it is really cold but both times I have been here it has been warmer than New Hampshire.  Maybe they are trying to keep all of this amazing weather a secret.

Hey Tom. We must have just missed each other by an hour or so. Anyway, just keep going north if you want some cooler weather. It was 80 in Fairbanks, and lower 30s an hour later when we got to Barrow! Have fun with your project. I know I'm already having a great time with mine!

Steve
+Quote Post
Robert_Oddo
post Jun 13 2005, 02:27 AM
Post #4

TREC Teacher

Member No.: 8

Hey Tom,

I don't know about being warmer than NH. I just got back. Motorcycle week has begun. It was 87 at my house in Gilmanton Iron Works. Good Luck.
Bob
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- NSF Acknowledgment & Disclaimer Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:52 AM